Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Howard
Deputy Commander
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, East Sussex.
Posts: 983
Default Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ars-films.html

I have a bad feeling about this.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
pjskeldon
Communications Officer
 
pjskeldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 752
Default

The new R2-D2 and C-3PO are revealed...



... what could go wrong?

If anyone asks I'll be living under a rock when the next film comes out in 2015.
May the Farce be with you.

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
yorkie
Geological Technician
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: York, England
Posts: 106
Default

Well Disney owns Marvel, and the Avengers Assemble was great. Fingers crossed.
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Howard
Deputy Commander
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, East Sussex.
Posts: 983
Default

That was down to Joss.
The last PT SW films (and Jedi to an extent) had fail written all over them.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot
 
SteveDix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Posts: 552
Default

Then again, we might finally get a decent Blu-ray release of the originals, without the crappy CGI plastered over them. They could have had a "1977 Original / Director's cut" option, like the Alien Blu-ray.

Then again... look what they did to Winnie the Pooh...
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
healvis
Communications Officer
 
healvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 943
Default

Let's face it the last 3 Star Wars films done by Lucas were duff, some would say the last 4.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
yorkie
Geological Technician
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: York, England
Posts: 106
Default

Yeah, the prequels were written, produced and directed by Lucas. The Clone Wars CG TV series has better scripts. Letting other directors and screen writers have a go would be much better IMHO. An entire generation of modern film industry specialists grew up loving the originals. How about getting Gary Kurtz back? Return of the Jedi wasn't quite the same for me without his input.

Wonder what this means for the proposed 100 episode live-action Star Wars TV series where all the scripts are all already written. Like Trek I imagine a new film series would put a stop to a new TV show.

The next films are supposed to be episodes 7 to 9 and I recall interviews years ago (Starlog, Starburst etc) which said that the final trilogy would be about an older Luke taking on the role of an Obi-Wan Jedi master mentoring a new generation of Jedi.
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer
 
Conrad Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Duxford, Cambs
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
Then again, we might finally get a decent Blu-ray release of the originals, without the crappy CGI plastered over them. They could have had a "1977 Original / Director's cut" option, like the Alien Blu-ray.

Then again... look what they did to Winnie the Pooh...
And this time, the death star will have two massive radar dishes on the top. Vader's theme tune will be "When you wish upon a (Death)star"

Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
Let's face it the last 3 Star Wars films done by Lucas were duff, some would say the last 4.
Sad, but true. Agree.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
Eagle-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Surrey, UK.
Posts: 259
Default

With Lucas mostly out of the way (apparently he will continue as a "creative consultant") the new film(s) have half a chance of not being dreadful.

If you've never seen the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels, start here:



Very long, but spot on in terms of criticism. And quite funny too.

And for Episode 2 (which is the worst film I've ever seen):

__________________
"Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations."
Eagle-2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, East Sussex.
Posts: 983
Default

You're absolutely right. Spot on and very funny. Common sense prevails at the core of his reviews.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot
 
SteveDix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskeldon View Post
The new R2-D2 and C-3PO are revealed...



Phil.
"Warning - choking hazard" - I presume in a Jimi Hendrix style?
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician
 
thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St Helens , Merseyside , U.K .
Posts: 479
Default

The constant " Lucas/Star Wars bashing " on numerous forums ( the most venomous coming from so-called fans ) is enormously tedious . O.k , so a lot of people , especially those who grew up with the original trilogy , were "underwhelmed" ( to say the least ) with the prequels . Get over it , you still have "Your Star Wars " ( at least two anyway , I'm forgetting the third one was crap ) . Don't buy the D.V.Ds . Don't like Lucasfilm's "commercialism " ? Don't buy the toys/books/games/whatever . There are PLENTY of things I don't like , I simply don't bother getting myself in a sweat complaining about them . I'm a Star Wars fan . I watched the first in the cinema aged 10 . I bought some of the toys, though I wasn't a "rabid collector ". I bought ( and still buy ) the model kits . I don't read the novels/expanded universe stuff . I was slightly let down by "The Phantom Menace" but still enjoyed it . The next two were a lot better . I think "The Clone Wars " is one of the best shows in years . I spend a lot of my modelling time making custom 1/6 scale Star Wars figures . The majority of my wardrobe is taken up with Star Wars T-shirts , but I don't consider myself in any way obsessed , in fact I reckon I'm pretty normal ( I have a grown up job and everything ! ). I don't want to get into any pro/anti Lucasfilm "argument " , but I WILL say this . The Disney buy out is great news . There are going to be more Star Wars movies and T.V shows , written and directed by top class talent who also grew up on Star Wars and backed by the biggest entertainment conglomerate on the planet . They are going to look after this franchise like the cash cow it undoubtedly is and not "sell it down the river " by producing sub-standard products . Rant over .
( And Eagle 2 , AOTC is the worst film you've EVER seen ? Really ? )

Last edited by thundergod; 03-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
Eagle-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Surrey, UK.
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
( And Eagle 2 , AOTC is the worst film you've EVER seen ? Really ? )
It's the only film that I have ever seriously considered walking out of, I thought it was that bad. At one point I turned to the person next to me and said "I have a real problem with this film. I don't know who the good guys are, I don't know who the bad guys are, I don't know what's going on, and I don't care."

I think the Disney purchase is probably the best thing that could've happened to Lucasfilm. Providing Lucas stays firmly in the background and lets some other people have creative input, the new movie has a chance of having a decent story that makes sense and engages you, believable and interesting characters that you actually like, and visuals that aren't cluttered with so much unnecessary crap that you can't tell what you're supposed to be looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Get over it , you still have "Your Star Wars "
No, I don't have "my Star Wars", because I can't get hold of a decent copy of the original theatrical release, due to Lucas' constant tinkering. Maybe that's another thing we'll get now he's let the company go; a Blu-ray release of the original theatrical versions. That would be nice.
__________________
"Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations."
Eagle-2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician
 
thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St Helens , Merseyside , U.K .
Posts: 479
Default

The thing is Eagle , ALL of your points are valid and I agree to some extent with them . It's just the AOTC comment/opinion I find hard to believe . I'm actually quite envious , if you'd sat through some of the junk I've watched over the years.........
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-2 View Post


No, I don't have "my Star Wars", because I can't get hold of a decent copy of the original theatrical release, due to Lucas' constant tinkering. Maybe that's another thing we'll get now he's let the company go; a Blu-ray release of the original theatrical versions. That would be nice.

I've got it on laserdisc....
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
The thing is Eagle , ALL of your points are valid and I agree to some extent with them . It's just the AOTC comment/opinion I find hard to believe . I'm actually quite envious , if you'd sat through some of the junk I've watched over the years.........
Yeah, usually people say that about phantom menace.....
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
pjskeldon
Communications Officer
 
pjskeldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
The constant " Lucas/Star Wars bashing " on numerous forums ( the most venomous coming from so-called fans ) is enormously tedious . O.k , so a lot of people , especially those who grew up with the original trilogy , were "underwhelmed" ( to say the least ) with the prequels . Get over it , you still have "Your Star Wars " ( at least two anyway , I'm forgetting the third one was crap ) . Don't buy the D.V.Ds . Don't like Lucasfilm's "commercialism " ? Don't buy the toys/books/games/whatever . There are PLENTY of things I don't like , I simply don't bother getting myself in a sweat complaining about them . I'm a Star Wars fan . I watched the first in the cinema aged 10 . I bought some of the toys, though I wasn't a "rabid collector ". I bought ( and still buy ) the model kits . I don't read the novels/expanded universe stuff . I was slightly let down by "The Phantom Menace" but still enjoyed it . The next two were a lot better . I think "The Clone Wars " is one of the best shows in years . I spend a lot of my modelling time making custom 1/6 scale Star Wars figures . The majority of my wardrobe is taken up with Star Wars T-shirts , but I don't consider myself in any way obsessed , in fact I reckon I'm pretty normal ( I have a grown up job and everything ! ). I don't want to get into any pro/anti Lucasfilm "argument " , but I WILL say this . The Disney buy out is great news . There are going to be more Star Wars movies and T.V shows , written and directed by top class talent who also grew up on Star Wars and backed by the biggest entertainment conglomerate on the planet . They are going to look after this franchise like the cash cow it undoubtedly is and not "sell it down the river " by producing sub-standard products . Rant over .
( And Eagle 2 , AOTC is the worst film you've EVER seen ? Really ? )
Pretty much agree with what you say. Having followed Star Wars since seeing the original film as a lad of 16, I disconnected from the SW 'universe' after Revenge of the Sith. Haven't felt the desire to see the Clone Wars, avoided the 3D version of whatever SW film was recently re-released, stopped buying any SW merchandise and focussed on reading classic and modern SF.

I agree that debating the Disney buyout is futile, especially using forums such as this. I don't care what Disney does with SW - I've already moved on. I only came across the Muppet/SW figures on eBay while looking for a Bunsen Honeydew figure for a Christmas present.

May the Fozz be with you!

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Toxic Mushroom
Alphan
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Default

I have a very good feeling about this, Star Wars was always better when George did not direct or write.
Toxic Mushroom is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Mushroom View Post
I have a very good feeling about this, Star Wars was always better when George did not direct or write.
You mean like 'return of the jedi' or phantom menace? because he didn't write or direct those.

A new hope was the only one he both wrote and directed....most people liked that one best.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com