Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
skiffy
Communications Officer

Default (Almost) scratchbuilt E11 blaster

I posted this over at Whitearmor and the RPF but thought I'd post my progress here too.

If you know anything about these blasters (E11's) used by the stormtroopers in A New Hope - then you'll probably know that they are built around a very real Sterling sub-machine gun, adorned with various bits of prop dressing.

Anyway, there are plans available online to make up a replica using common PVC pipe and whatever else you can find that looks right when painted up.

I began one of these builds a while ago, stashed it under the bed whilst we redecorated and forgot about it for about 18 months.

Just began with it again now, and really enjoying seeing it come together. It's an almost scratchbuild because I bought a resin-cast scope and counter box online, just to encourage me to finish it. The rest is totally scratchbuilt, and includes wood, metal - sheet, rod, bar and box section, PVC, styrene, perspex and various screws, bolts and even a little meccano.

"Enough waffle" you say, "let's have more build pics". Fair do's...

There's still a few odds and ends to add, some of which are already made-up, including: trigger, front sight blade, 'D' ring at back, cocking handle and sundry other bits.

Because there's some metal and solid resin there it has a decent heft, and feels good in the hand - resulting in me running around the house pointing it at the family and going 'Pew, pew!'.

The sad fact is, that, even if I daub the end of the barrel in orange paint, what I've essentially made is illegal (especially since it's based on a real firearm) and couldn't be taken out of the house without very real risk of arrest.

Anyway, who cares. I think it's ace and I've wanted one ever since seeing them over 30 years ago.

Last edited by skiffy; 03-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Proper model making from whatever you have to make anything you want...

Another nice build Skiffy it looks the business, I never realised until recently when I watched one of the special documentaries that these guns fired a kind of flash blank. I thought that was pretty cool, you can also see the props had a decent weight whenever Leia totes one. As classic a design as a Stormtroopers helmet!
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post

Another nice build Skiffy it looks the business, I never realised until recently when I watched one of the special documentaries that these guns fired a kind of flash blank.

If you watch carefully in the movie, you can see the blanks being fired and cartridge casings ejecting....there's even a shot in the film where they forgot to dub the sound effect in and the blaster goes BANG!
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
skiffy
Communications Officer

Thankyou for the kind comments! Ejecting cases eh? Well, I never knew that. I knew the blasters were real sterlings, but I suppose it makes more sense to use a flash blank than rely completely on post-production.

Just means I'll have to watch ANH all over again (a few times). lol
Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
skiffy
Communications Officer

Okay, more primer and bits and bobs added.

We now have a trigger, a cocking handle and a rear stock-catch (minus the insert)..

We have a bolt on top of the mag housing, and a mag with scallop detail.

Next up in this overall shot you can see my cack-handed failure of an attempt at grip pattern. This will get smoothed and re-done. You can also see a little bulge where the scope rail bolts to the front of the body. This is re-inforcement where the PVC split right across two of the vent holes as I was fixing the rail in place. I tried and failed to glue it from inside, but luckily this 'patching' solution won't detract too much from the overall effect.

Lastly, a detail shot of the front ironsight - filed from acrylic sheet.

Still to add: D ring, bayonet lug on side of barrel, fire selector switch, more detailing at the back of the mag housing, non-wonky grip patterning! I plan to insert an imperial roundel in styrene to the right side of the grip - as I've seen in some resin versions - cuz it looks cool..

Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
Thankyou for the kind comments! Ejecting cases eh? Well, I never knew that. I knew the blasters were real sterlings, but I suppose it makes more sense to use a flash blank than rely completely on post-production.

Just means I'll have to watch ANH all over again (a few times). lol
Watch for the shot just before han solo jumps into the garbage chute: the short mags held 3 rounds, he pops off all three (with visable ejections) and then jumps.

The BANG shot is just before Luke and leia swing across the trench...very noticeable!
Old 13-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
skiffy
Communications Officer

Cheers Ham! Here's an update. I had a painting disaster at first, had to strip the gun down - clean off all the crap black paint and find a better brand of rattle can. Went with an automotive satin black - which looks the bomb!

Still lots to do - but it's starting to look shweet..

Old 14-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Cheers Ham! Here's an update. I had a painting disaster at first, had to strip the gun down -
Bad paint reaction? What composition of paint did you use? I do kinda wonder what you used to 'checker' the grips, that's always a tough thing to do...

Last edited by Ham Salad; 14-08-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 14-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Bad paint reaction? What composition of paint did you use? I do kinda wonder what you used to 'checker' the grips, that's always a tough thing to do...
Hi Ham, it wasn't a paint reaction per se, it was a dirt cheap rattle can that produced a finish that wouldn't dry. Once I spent a bit more cash on a better product and stripped off all the old crap it went on fine.

Regarding the grip pattern - it's been suggested that I sand off and re-do the milliput, then whilst it's part-cured, press some diamond pattern steel mesh against it(as used in a car repair kit or similar). As long as I find a scale match, it seems the best solution.
Old 14-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Hi Ham, it wasn't a paint reaction per se, it was a dirt cheap rattle can that produced a finish that wouldn't dry. Once I spent a bit more cash on a better product and stripped off all the old crap it went on fine..
Ah, that's a common story. I've got to the point where I am suspicious of brands I haven't used, I tend to stick to paints with predictable working characteristics.

Old 14-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Pro Mod
Forum Supporter

Great build and very informative article, thanks.

I'd never heard of Whitearmor before. I found it really interesting and informative and there's a lot of interesting articles there.
Old 18-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
skiffy
Communications Officer

Given that these E11's fired blanks to get the muzzle flash - I just noticed the bottom-left of this lobby card - that's brass ejecting!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
skiffy
Communications Officer

It's finished!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
tibbington
Medical Technician

looking good keep up the good work
tibbington is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #15