&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #41
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
Same here...

Jim Small had better get some sets of engine bells ready for the 23" as there may well be some demand for them...I'll be ordering a set as soon as I can...
Me too but there might be a little problem with that...

Quote:
...but I doubt that we'd be able to prime and spray right over the top of the existing paint...
Worked fine for me with the PE12s.

Is this thing Die cast? Lol - I bought something and I don't even know what I'm getting. Well it IS an Eagle...

The spine clamps will be first to go!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #42
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DOCTOR
For the record, the styrene parts are:

Engine bells
Retros, on the walkways and pod
Round and oval Engine tanks
Landing gear

The rest is resin, so as long as you can prise these bits off, you're laughing.

You should be able to go straight over the existing paint job in cell, but you'd be wise to sand off the decals first, in case there is any reaction.
Thanks for the info...I shall probably remove the decals with a cloth lightly dipped in cellulose thinners - gets rid of them in one pass. As long as you don't continue to rub the area, it normally doesn't hurt the paint or material beneath - or that was the case with the die casts anyway.

Are there any tips for disassembling this beast...is it held together with screws or glued ?

Cheers

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #43
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
Same here...

Jim Small had better get some sets of engine bells ready for the 23" as there may well be some demand for them...I'll be ordering a set as soon as I can...
Me too but there might be a little problem with that...

Quote:
...but I doubt that we'd be able to prime and spray right over the top of the existing paint...
Worked fine for me with the PE12s.
Jim hasn't actually mentioned any problems with production anywhere...and he's still actively advertising the bells on his website. Any news Jim ? Can we order these bells from you or are there delays in getting hold of them ?

Good news that we may be able to spray right over the existing paint job after removal of decals. Mine's gonna be in the season 1 fairly clean scheme in Ford Diamond White as I like the look of that (and I have the paint in stock).

I sense a competition looming to see who can accurise their 23" Eagle first. Perhaps we can have a 23" meet at some point to compare notes
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #44
TonyB
Forum Supporter

w8cmp wrote:
Quote:
So how are we gonna strip that paint off without damaging the plastic underneath ? Cellulose thinners would likely kill it...but I doubt that we'd be able to prime and spray right over the top of the existing paint...
I have posted a thread in the Technical Section which may just answer your question.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...opic.php?t=308

I Hope that is some help to you.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #45
w8cmp
Science Officer

JUST GOT IT HOME...and unpacked to check it all out.

I picked up No. 42 of 1500 - thought the number was one I liked and represents life, the universe and everything...

No 199 had already gone, as had no 13 and various other favourites I could have gone for.

Tony's shop is so rammed full of the things that you can't get around - though he said that 30 went out the door yesterday...with many more expected to be collected today.

Met Lazyeagle in there - good to put a face to a name...

Overall I'm happy with the model. The pod and landing gear pods certainly feel die cast, and the whole model has some weight and solidity to it.

Pics soon - as soon as I've downloaded the camera and got them uploaded somewhere...

Chris
(who's excited like a little boy again...and the wife's not home yet !)

Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #46
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB
w8cmp wrote:
Quote:
So how are we gonna strip that paint off without damaging the plastic underneath ? Cellulose thinners would likely kill it...but I doubt that we'd be able to prime and spray right over the top of the existing paint...
I have posted a thread in the Technical Section which may just answer your question.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...opic.php?t=308

I Hope that is some help to you.
Cheers...we shall see how it goes....

Think I just want to look at the model for a while and make plans for the refinishing without rushing in to things too quick...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #47
w8cmp
Science Officer

Well here we go people...starting with Tony's shop, and then the ceremonial unpacking of my model...

Chris
(still excited)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #48
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Heheh! Droolage...

Getting mine next week. I'm in no rush, tbh.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #49
gogs100
Geological Technician

Any info on how the engine bells at the back and the retros underneath are attached ? Are the glued or screwed?
gogs100 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #50
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Eww...

Gonna have to sort out that seem line too...

And the overspray on the window sheilding.

And drill out the tubing.

And correct the attitude thrusters...

Add a 'pig ring'...

Get rid of those grey squares on the pod.

Replace the spine decals

Replace the Alpha logos :

Tone down the 'nucler orange' decals on the legs.

Alclad the engine bells...

Apart from that, I'm happy with it!!!

Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #51
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Eagle wrote:

Quote:
Apart from that, I'm happy with it!!!
Picky picky picky....

Mind you that overspray is quite bad, surley that could have been done a lot better than that.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #52
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I think we ought to thankful they didn't give it a 'camo' job!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #53
doon
Communications Officer

Wow,
Looking at that paint job, I hope they issue an unpainted version, even for the same price! It would be easier than stripping and redoing! Plus give me more time to get more mula up
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #54
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Eww...

Gonna have to sort out that seem line too...

It's no seam line - it's been drawn on with what looks like pencil...though it doesn't rub off.

Now why would ANYONE want to draw on what looks like a seam line
Old 12-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #55
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Hi

Picked up mine on Saturday, was good to meet Chris P on the day. First thing that strikes you is the size of the box and weight!

Overall Impressions- I'm happy with the model and very impressed.

Okay, it's well packed and I think there won't be anyone disappointed with broken parts etc. Now I consider myself an Eagle 'purist' of sorts as I'm building the 22" and 44" Eagles as close to the studio models as possible. So I'm picky and was a little nervous purchasing this offering given the price tag.

The model itself is heavy, the passenger pod and side landing pods are diecast metal with the remainder being rendered in plastic. It's strong but you don't want to drop it from to high a height to test the suspension system. I would have liked the model to have a little 'give' when it sits on the footpads but the springs are a little taut. No matter.

The Command module, serves the purpose of telling us that it is an Eagle although the profile isn't entirely correct. Perhaps this is from the 23" RU model moulding. The attitude thrusters are on steroids- a bit too big.

The spine also extends a little too close to the command module. Colour- far as I can tell it's an off white closer to grey but not entirely so. Panel lines are pencil lines it appears drawn on. Questionable lines on the command module makes it look as if it is a seam, but it's not.

Cage details are okay, although from the top you have two 'tool box' like protrusions, doesn't do any harm or detract from the model just an observation. Overall the model has subtle panels picked out in various whites and darker greys. No overspray on the recessed black anti-glare panels on the beak.

Mods- Would I do any? On an earlier post I stated that I would opt for a brass spine, but now looking at it I think not, it's fine as it is. Some might want to replace the bells and thrusters or drill out the command module sensor dishes and replace them with ali pieces, to each his own I say.

For me I look at it from a distance and it captures the eagle just fine and dandy. It's a display model and a fine one at that, it looks like an Eagle and I recommend this moon bird to any discerning collector or model maker. Sure it has its shortcomings, these are minor and I can live with them fine and I'm not tempted to tear into it or repaint it. The colour looks good and gives it a scale like quality, this is no toy for sure. Think I spent enough dosh on the ship for me to not justify redoing it. If I had to do that then I'd purchase the RU model and built it up to my specs.

Anyway I've rambled on but I think that not long ago we only had the ERTL kit and a few badly moulded copies of this kit and limited release 22" models. Now in 2005 we have a ready made Eagle a little larger than studio scale. Who would have thought that was possible? Tacit nod to PE for producing this model, I'm sure it was a headache to produce. Sure enough if you wanted a Studio model then you either had to build it yourself or commission a model maker. From that perspective of time and money this Eagle to me represents good value. Anyway this is my two pence worth, hoping everyone else is enjoying their Eagle as much as me.

Chris P has put up some good photos so I've held off, if anybody wants pictures I can supply them/put them up here.

Now all I want is for the BBC to screen The Sound of Music again this Crimbo and I'll be even happier!

Regards to all

Sanjay.

Jorga- Spoke to Tony and he told me that your Eagle will be dispatched by FEDEX today- you should get it by Wednesday- latest Thursday.
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #56
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Arggghhh. my Lord above the thing's have just turned up, crickey you should the boxes I have had delivered this afternoon, the missus will freak when she gets in. TJ must have posted them out to me on Friday.

Although I do not now have the time to go through the boxes, I have to be out for 6pm on Monday's, (I sort out the attendance sheets and subscriptions for the local war gaming club), so it will have to wait until I get in after 10.30pm or on Tuesady morning, bloody typical that.

I am in the wife has just walked in and has not freaked at all the large boxes all over the dining room floor, now that is a bad sign.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #57
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Sanjay…that was a darn good review…thank you…and yes, I’m sold!
Just for the record...both Chris P. / Mark B. pictures (and comments) were quite valuable too…thanks guys!
Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #58
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Well, my wait is over!…yes, my 23 incher just landed here in jolly-little Ottawa…and in tip-top shape if you please! (would be lying if I’ve said I wasn’t worrying a little…)

Many thanks to both Nigel and Tony at Comet…and also to Forum fellow member Sanjay (lazyeagle) for making this bird cross the pond in just three days…

For my total surprise I didn’t have to pay any of the usual custom duties! (probably because the Gestapo at Canada Customs must be overwhelmed dealing with gazillions of parcels during the season…).

By the way...my bird has number 83

Now… what about an “accessory pack” for this big boy…
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 01:29 AM   #59
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Good for you! Mine should arrive tomorrow or Sat.

It's getting to me and I haven't even got one yet - that 'seam line' really has to go....
Old 16-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #60
w8cmp
Science Officer

We need to start a thread on modifications and how to do them. This baby's going to take some time to study how she comes apart.

The rear engine bells are screwed on - so no problem there - but I have this aversion to 'breaking' glued parts of a £400 model in order to accurise it...which is why I haven't even started yet.

Perhaps the braver amongst you (Mark) will start this process and we'll all be on our way with it...

Oh I'm also looking for some weaker springs for the landing gear so she sits down on her suspension. It's a bit stiff at present even though the model weighs a fair bit...