Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default EAGLE EARLY PRE-PRODUCTION ART

anybody know the story behind this? looks very "chris foss", but i can't understand why the eagle is so far removed from brian johnson's design?

deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
anybody know the story behind this? looks very "chris foss", but i can't understand why the eagle is so far removed from brian johnson's design?
All I know is that it IS by Chris Foss.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Cool

if chris foss did this, it does beg the question WHO designed the eagle????
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

This is NOT by Chris Foss (no F Signature).

Most probably Tony Roberts (has all the marks), it looks like one of his early pieces. Done in a rush by the looks of it.

Tony did a lot of this sort of stuff. One of the best Out Foss the Foss artists there was. Check out the TTA books for his better stuff.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

I first saw that picture stuck on a wall in 1981 at a Fanderson convention. It was credited to Chris Foss then and I've seen it credited to him ever since.

Last edited by scatta; 07-09-2011 at 05:35 AM.
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Howard
Deputy Commander

Just because the 'F' sig isn't there, doesn't mean the bottom of the pic wasn't cropped. There's a lot of 'drop off' at the bottom of the pic for sure.
A member here knows Foss personally, so I'll contact him and see if he can get in touch to settle this.
Even if it's not Foss, it still does beg the question, why is this design so far removed from the Eagle we know - or, did this design come first?
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
baldax
Hydroponics Technician

Chris Foss did several pre-production paintings as designs for Space: 1999 in 1973. He is considered a co-designer for the Eagle along with Brian Johnson and Ron Burton.
baldax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Wasn't there a UFO-1999 poster that was very similar, remember a lot of design stuff crossed over, when Gerry had to (as usual) switch things around quickly, when UFO became Space 1999

I'm not sure
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default t'is foss

Thanks to Howard for the heads up .
I asked Chris about this a maybe a year ago, he obviously confirmed the early work he had done on it, but drifted onto another subject as I recall.
So..it is Chris Foss who did the originals of the pictures, what we see as the small image now...someone has obviously "hacked" it !.

See also these pages...

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...uide/upa1.html

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=1790

Regards all..Ian "eagle44"

ps, it is just possible that with the launch of the latest Chris Foss book..he has revisited it ?, maybe I got him thinking about it !!.

----------------------
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Sorry Guys I just don't believe it.

Every time I have had correspondence with Chris or his wife Imogen; neither of them have ever mentioned Space 1999.

The image on Catacombs is far too small to say -Yes it is a Foss conclusively.
But if you look at the image carefully it just doesn't stack up. It is slightly out in terms of perspective (never seen that on a Foss) the brush work is too loose (original image), the colouring is far too bland and there is no illusion of mass at all.
It just doesn't stack up!
In fact I would say that you do Chris a huge injustice by accrediting this piece too him at all.

What does stack up through is the fact that the artwork as originally posted is a Retouched image used for promotion.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Chris Foss

Important Point of order

Chris Foss is not married to Imogen..Imogen is his Daughter, suprised he didn't mention that to you..on one of your many contacts with him..H-H.

FYI "Imogens Diary" was the original working title of the "Diary of.." book you may have read or even own, how do I know this..because I own that original copy, he named it after his daughter..(or is it his wife..See above !!)

Question for H-H. Do you think because the image below is not the correct colour..not the full size..as well as the aspect ratio being all wrong.. it can't be the Mona Lisa..?.

Off to bed now, can't be bothered to expand any further..night all.

Be in touch soon, or after i've spoken to Chris.

Regards all..Ian "eagle44".

-----------------
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
astrocat
Medical Technician

Here's a slightly larger reproduction of the 'green' version printed in issue 10 of Starlog magazine.
It's worth having a close look at the mark painted just below the building. A bit fuzzy, but it looks like an 'F' to me....

Studying the 'green' and full colour images side by side it looks to me like they're one and the same, so the full colour painting would have come first. The green version is a black and white copy with simple block areas overprinted in yellow and green. This sort of process was commonly used for brochures in the '70s where they didn't want to run to the cost of full colour printing.
Although the image Phil posted is very dark all the same details can be seen in both.

I imagine the painting was needed for early publicity brochures for the US backers or something. Chris Foss was probably just given Brian Johnson's early Eagle concept ideas to work from before the Eagle had been fully developed - pure speculation on my part - but it would make sense.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foss_Starlog10.jpg (92.3 KB, 147 views)
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Signature looks good to me too.

I agree about the speculation for the origin of the design. I think it could be easy to go astray when speculating. Time will add layers and change things, sometimes even creating it's own history as the story gets retold.

I always try to be open minded.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #14
HUNCH
Communications Officer

First I've seen of this. Verrrry cooool.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

I stand corrected.

However you must all admit this is without doubt one of the worst paintings I have ever seen from Chris.
I just doesn't look like something from him.
Maybe this is why it hasn't appeared in any of his portfolio's?

I also stand corrected that Imogen is his daughter - not his wife an assumption made when dealing with people over the internet.
Still when I met him a retrospective a few years ago, he never mentioned Space 1999 and neither did Imogen when I was talking to her and Chris about producing copies of some of his works in 3d.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

i've had a closer look at the image i originally posted and can confirm the "F" is there.

also, i found the following quote from an interview with brian johnson on david sisson's website!

(DS) Can you tell us a little about the design of the Eagles in 'Space: 1999' and artist Chris Foss’s contribution to it?

(BJ) Well, Chris may have done an illustration that I believe was used in a promotional brochure or something, but the actual original design was mine……........
...........The original design drawings for the Eagle were done by me. I then took on Michael Lamont, one of the famous Lamonts involved in art and design in the British film industry, and he drew it out as a plan from my sketches. It wasn’t quite as long as I wanted so we added bits and stretched things out until it looked like the thing that was in the series.

i think it's reasonable to surmise that the foss eagle is based on one of BJ's early designs.

Last edited by deraenged; 08-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
astrocat
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
However you must all admit this is without doubt one of the worst paintings I have ever seen from Chris.
I just doesn't look like something from him.
Maybe this is why it hasn't appeared in any of his portfolio's?
Personally, I've always rather liked this painting. It's got a rather nice dynamic to it, even if the perspective may be a little off in places... but I can think of quite a few of Chris Foss's other pictures that are shall we say 'rougher' than this..... (I'd be very happy to have any one of them on my wall if the opportunity ever arose though!!)
I've got a soft spot for his earlier 'looser' style, and this has all the classic hallmarks.

In common with most commercial artists his output has been varied over the years. it's all down to how much time the client gives you to do the work in... I know this from personal experience. You just have to make the best of the time available.

As for why this hasn't turned up in any of his books, it could be one of any number of reasons. Its quite possible Chris Foss no longer has the painting. Unlike book jacket work where the artist retains the artwork, I get the impression the deal with 1999 would have been that Group 3 got to keep the original, as well as the rights to use it. Also, if it did happen to be a rush job, then he may not even have had time to get a transparency made before it was delivered (again... been there, done it) so he possibly has no copy of the painting in his archives.
Bear in mind also that in the grand scheme of things, outside of Space 1999 interest groups, this probably isn't all that an important piece as far as the rest of Chris's career is concerned.

All speculation of course, just my two cents

Keith
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
martin
Medical Technician

If you're wondering where the "F" is, it's just under the tower to the right of the launch pad (Main Mission?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fossdetail.jpg (47.5 KB, 75 views)
martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
steeple
Chef

i wonder if the Foss piece is the origin of the orange eagle beak that i've seen crop up over the years?

Last edited by steeple; 14-09-2011 at 01:27 AM.
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #20
jockdeboer
Medical Technician

That is one cool Eagle!
jockdeboer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote