Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I'd love it if somebody (Well, OK...andy) would post some sources for some of the parts....the scope mount, for example. It was mentioned that it was a hardware store part, but what part exactly? Is it available form B&Q online like the mirror hemispheres? How about the orange tip ?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #42
rwolf1970
Alphan

Hmm, no lathe... Might have to try and carve the barrel and sight from wood. Have to find a reasonably good dowel to try it out
rwolf1970 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
BalorReturns!
Chef

Hi Kevin. I have just signed up/registered today, specifically to check out the threads for this stunning prop from the Blake's 7 series...

I watched the resin kit sell on eBay yesterday (and was recommended to come here), which triggered a certain affinity I have for these lovely props; somethng that propelled me to build one myself a few years back...

I have also built a couple of Sandman pistol props [from the 1976 film, Logan's Run] which were of questionable merit!

Please do keep up the good work - all of you - as these personal works are an inspiration to people not unlike myself...
BalorReturns! is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #44
techno
Astrophysics Technician

Guys, have you Noticed that the Scorpio Guns look like they were Based on a Broomhandle Mauser? kinda similar to Hans Solo's Pistol from Star wars! Dan
techno is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #45
saurus
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Dan!
Yes! I had suggested another 'rip off' (The Man from UNCLE ) but Star Wars prevailed!
Well spotted!
Cheers, Bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saurus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #46
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalorReturns! View Post
I watched the resin kit sell on eBay yesterday:
There is a kit?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #47
BalorReturns!
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
There is a kit?
Yes. It was an early Comet Miniatures resin model kit, which (I believe) came in three/four pieces. These things needed a lot of sanding and polishing to make them look anywhere near decent, but it was good enough... at least for a while!

That is until I realised it was actually incorrect: The rear of the pistol was entirely the wrong shape, and this resin 'kit' was actually just a piece of nonsense!

Contrastingly, the repros shown here are nothing short of stunning. I only wish I had access to the sort of tools I did just a few years ago, when my dad was alive...
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #48
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Yes. It was an early Comet Miniatures resin model kit, which (I believe) came in three/four pieces. These things needed a lot of sanding and polishing to make them look anywhere near decent, but it was good enough... at least for a while!

That is until I realised it was actually incorrect: The rear of the pistol was entirely the wrong shape, and this resin 'kit' was actually just a piece of nonsense!

Contrastingly, the repros shown here are nothing short of stunning. I only wish I had access to the sort of tools I did just a few years ago, when my dad was alive...
Oh, you haven't seen how bad mine is. Mine is made of plastic, and was a bit too thick as it was a shooting prop and had to incorporate a flash...which in 1987 meant a capacitor nearly an inch in diameter.

I built it from bad photos from Blakes 7 magazine, , so I had no idea how big it was really...I'm pretty sure the mark I was too big and the mark 2 was too small.

I plan to make a new one ( thanks to great reference from the guys here) as soon as I finish the trooper costumes/props I'm working on.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 07-09-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #49
BalorReturns!
Chef

Quote:
Oh, you haven't seen how bad mine is. Mine is made of plastic, and was a bit too thick as it was a shooting prop and had to incorporate a flash...which in 1987 meant a capacitor nearly an inch in diameter.

I built it from bad photos from Blakes 7 magazine, , so I had no idea how big it was really...I'm pretty sure the mark I was too big and the mark 2 was too small.

I plan to make a new one ( thanks to great reference from the guys here) as soon as I finish the trooper costumes/props I'm working on.
Sounds like we should compare our 'plastic' efforts and have a laugh! I did make two of these, and they were pretty amateurish when compared with what I'm seing being done here... Like you said, in the absense of a proper set of scale diagrams/drawings, its all just guesswork.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #50
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Sounds like we should compare our 'plastic' efforts and have a laugh! I did make two of these, and they were pretty amateurish when compared with what I'm seing being done here... Like you said, in the absense of a proper set of scale diagrams/drawings, its all just guesswork.
Well, at the time I had no tools for metal...and I wasn't partial to the 'hacksaw and file' method. Also, as you probably know, flash units use very high voltage, so I was concerned about the circuit shorting to the the metal receiver if I had made them from aluminum. I used a flash for what I suspect the same reason they used pyro charges on the original: shortage of studio time to do FX. I'm still trying my best to get more info: for example, a source and the actual name for the part used for scope mount would be great. Perhaps if you helped noodge the guys that know here?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #51
BalorReturns!
Chef

Quote:
Well, at the time I had no tools for metal...and I wasn't partial to the 'hacksaw and file' method. Also, as you probably know, flash units use very high voltage, so I was concerned about the circuit shorting to the the metal receiver if I had made them from aluminum. I used a flash for what I suspect the same reason they used pyro charges on the original: shortage of studio time to do FX. I'm still trying my best to get more info: for example, a source and the actual name for the part used for scope mount would be great. Perhaps if you helped noodge the guys that know here?
I made the main pistol grip using 12mm MDF, which was covered (both sides) with 1.5mm plastic cut to the same sishape/size. The sight mounts were crafted using various thicknesses of plastic tubing which was obtained from Halfords, together with some extra tubing from old and used till rolls from my work...

The grill area was made from real grilling which my father had in his shed at the time. He also had a Jigsaw, which came in handy for cutting the pistol and its plastic surrounds into shape. Must have went through a few blades along the way however, seeing as it was quite tough to cut, particularly round those tricky corners!
Old 21-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #52
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi guys

Here's Jim Francis original drawing for the Scorpio gun,

Andy H.

Please, the copyright on this image is Jim Francis

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 21-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #53
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Well, that sure went through changes....
Old 21-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #54
clanger68
Computer Technician

OMG!!!!!!!

I've never seen that before!

A, How bloody cool is that!

B, So, Definitely Jim and not Martin then!

I'm surprised how similar it is to the finished gun.

Obviously the sight is very different, although the site rail is the same.

The barrel is different, but reverse it and it is pretty much what we got on the finished prop.

Absolutely amazing stuff, anyone fancy making one of these to this design???

Andy, Phil cough, cough!

Thanks again Andy, wonderful insights as always.

Cheers,

Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #55
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I'd be happy to make one...if somebody would tell me where to get the sight rail.....

Old 25-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #56
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I wonder if I am ever going to find out where to get that scope mount.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #57
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Ham's clip guns.

Now personally I think that's PDG. I think as a prop in a film you could get away with a lot less than that, see below

My son and I made this without B7 in mind.........but it would suffice.

Last edited by Lrl; 12-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Again ... not too shabby Ham!!!
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #59
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
Again ... not too shabby Ham!!!

Well, I want to do a better one, if somebody would tell me where to get the scope mount....

You'll notice it's about 3mm too thick: this isn't a mistake: I had to do that to accommodate the big electrolytic capacitor that drives the high voltage end of the flash. It had to have that because this is a practical prop, it was made for 'half baked 7', and you see federation troopers being shot with it.
Old 19-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #60
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Scopio gun mount

Ladies and Gentlemen
Here is something for your edification and delight...

Yesterday I found a spare one of the sight mounts for the Scorpio gun.
Im sure it will be of interest to some people, one in particular, hmm can't think who...

It's made of alluminium and is a shop fitting, for shelves ect.

I bought some of these over ten years ago, so don't know if the shop is still there or gone out of business.
I tried ringing yesterday but the phone just kept ringing off...

Hope you enjoy.

Andy H.

MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote