Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office > Cap'n on Deck

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #441
c.scarlet
Geological Technician

Fantastic Pics!!! Thanks
c.scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #442
Geoff Ellis
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Finally I managed to make enough time to visit with Sean Robinson and the Straker's Car replica. I am not often gob smacked but....
Thanks to Sean Robinson and Tony Graysmark for the warm welcome and generosity with their time - what a day..!
I couldn't put it better myself, the pictures are fantastic!

It's great to see vehicles from Agent Crush, including Mike Trim's rocket from the brilliant launch sequence. The ship with the 'Eagle' type nose seems to be something else again though.

The green 'Mobile' type vehicle reminds me of a small picture going back some years now of CATT (I think) from Aquanoughts, but as it looks shiny and new, is it something coming down the line?

Thanks to all for the pictures.
Geoff Ellis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #443
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

When time allows, I will be heading back to Sean's workshop and will ask really nicely if I can photomap some of these props, this visit was a bit rushed.

Thanks for the nice comments, I love to share what I find and both Sean and Tony are such interesting people. As far as I know the green tank looks so new because Bill Pearson gave it a re-treatment adding extra detail, a new cabin and a new paint scheme, I am sure Sean said he did it over a weekend.

I will ask Sean to fill in more detail about some of the models, especially the white eagleish looking craft. I was a bit dazzed by everything, there were literally models in the rafters and under almost every bench....

Lastly, Straker's car is bigger than you think, it is a real presence but once off the jig it will actually be very low to the ground, every feature is a compound curve, it really is a truly beautiful car.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #444
miger1
Computer Technician

Great photos!
Thanks for showing them to us all.
Jim
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #445
mike s
Communications Officer

wow

um what is 'walling up'..?

cheers
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #446
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
wow

um what is 'walling up'..?

cheers
I was trying to figure out the same, im assuming its to create an area they can pour the RTV (or whatever liquid into to mold a certain area without it all runnign down the rest of the car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Support the forum, visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
karr1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #447
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr1981 View Post
I was trying to figure out the same, im assuming its to create an area they can pour the RTV (or whatever liquid into to mold a certain area without it all runnign down the rest of the car?
Hi,

walling yp is a process that creates a ridge that seperates the key pieces of the mould, it does two things firstly it makes a locking plate that locks all the pieces of the mould together keeping it perfectly aligned while the fibreglass is layed into the mould. it also creates a line to mould to limiting the flash line after it comes out of the mould.

hope this helps

sean
filmsean@btinternet.com is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #448
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
When time allows, I will be heading back to Sean's workshop and will ask really nicely if I can photomap some of these props, this visit was a bit rushed.

Thanks for the nice comments, I love to share what I find and both Sean and Tony are such interesting people. As far as I know the green tank looks so new because Bill Pearson gave it a re-treatment adding extra detail, a new cabin and a new paint scheme, I am sure Sean said he did it over a weekend.

I will ask Sean to fill in more detail about some of the models, especially the white eagleish looking craft. I was a bit dazzed by everything, there were literally models in the rafters and under almost every bench....

Lastly, Straker's car is bigger than you think, it is a real presence but once off the jig it will actually be very low to the ground, every feature is a compound curve, it really is a truly beautiful car.
hi Bernie

it was a pleasure to see you the other day and tony sends his best. Where do i start, yes there are a lot of models, but what you didnt see was 2 x 40ft containers crammed full of stuff, next time mate spend the entire day.
The eagle type craft I think you are refering to is the one that is sitting on the top shelf, if that is the one then its called Aurora. This model was made for a production called CABS, this was a test trailer that I shot way back in 2000 it was the first test project with puppets that was made to prove the point that puppets could work again.
It was designed by Mike Trim and I worked on this with Peter wragg, the trailer opened the door with Warner bros and went onto become Agent Crush.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #449
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsean@btinternet.com View Post
hi Bernie

it was a pleasure to see you the other day and tony sends his best. Where do i start, yes there are a lot of models, but what you didnt see was 2 x 40ft containers crammed full of stuff, next time mate spend the entire day.
The eagle type craft I think you are refering to is the one that is sitting on the top shelf, if that is the one then its called Aurora. This model was made for a production called CABS, this was a test trailer that I shot way back in 2000 it was the first test project with puppets that was made to prove the point that puppets could work again.
It was designed by Mike Trim and I worked on this with Peter wragg, the trailer opened the door with Warner bros and went onto become Agent Crush.
the green mobile type vehicle was in the same trailer, it then went onto be used in several other movie projects which saw it being blown up quite a bit. I gave the model to my friend Bill Pearson who offered to give it a quick referb and it came out amazing. It was not intended to be a mobile replacement just that the front lent itself to that design.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #450
Geoff Ellis
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsean@btinternet.com View Post
hi Bernie

Thanks for the information Sean. Now I think of it, an illustration of the Aurora features in Mike Trim's artwork book, matching the model picture. I remember an article about CABS in SFX magazine in 2000, with pre-production artwork as a preview, but it's certainly a surprise to learn about actual (and by the look of it large) models that were made as well.

As for the 2 x 40ft containers, wow!

Thanks again.
Geoff Ellis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #451
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Ellis View Post
Thanks for the information Sean. Now I think of it, an illustration of the Aurora features in Mike Trim's artwork book, matching the model picture. I remember an article about CABS in SFX magazine in 2000, with pre-production artwork as a preview, but it's certainly a surprise to learn about actual (and by the look of it large) models that were made as well.

As for the 2 x 40ft containers, wow!

Thanks again.
Hi Geoff, I always build models and lots of them.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #452
ChrisFoxx
Alphan

Wait a minute -- and again, I'm sorry to be late to the party -- but are you saying the SHADO car that Ed Bishop drove in the series, the very car especially made for the show and of which only 3 were made, was left outside to rust???

I think I'm going to be sick.

Chris
ChrisFoxx is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #453
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFoxx View Post
Wait a minute -- and again, I'm sorry to be late to the party -- but are you saying the SHADO car that Ed Bishop drove in the series, the very car especially made for the show and of which only 3 were made, was left outside to rust???
Well, technically, the 3 cars were made for the movie DOPPELGANGER, and then spruced up for UFO. :-) But yes, it has been out in someone's back yard for a very long time (maybe 20 - 30 years?). And Foster's car wasn't in that great shape either the last time I saw photos of it 10+ years ago. As for the third car used in DOPPELGANGER, not sure whatever happened to that...
marcmartin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #454
ChrisFoxx
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmartin View Post
Well, technically, the 3 cars were made for the movie DOPPELGANGER, and then spruced up for UFO. :-) But yes, it has been out in someone's back yard for a very long time (maybe 20 - 30 years?). And Foster's car wasn't in that great shape either the last time I saw photos of it 10+ years ago. As for the third car used in DOPPELGANGER, not sure whatever happened to that...
Oh, I thought the SHADO cars were used in Doppelganger and not the other way around. Is there a chance in heck that movie's out there somewhere? I never have seen it.

Y'know, maybe it's because I'm in the US where we have a really serious car culture, but leaving these cars out in the weather to die, cars that another member here rightly referred to as "iconic", is nothing short of obscene. Do these people not realize what they HAD??
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #455
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Oh, I thought the SHADO cars were used in Doppelganger and not the other way around. Is there a chance in heck that movie's out there somewhere? I never have seen it.

Y'know, maybe it's because I'm in the US where we have a really serious car culture, but leaving these cars out in the weather to die, cars that another member here rightly referred to as "iconic", is nothing short of obscene. Do these people not realize what they HAD??
Doppelganger came out first. Then UFO. You can get "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (the more commonly used title) on DVD.

And yes, I think everyone is pretty appalled at what happened to these cars.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #456
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Doppelganger came out first. Then UFO.
I just looked up the dates -- Doppelganger was filmed in the summer of 1968, and premiered in theaters in October 1969. UFO was filmed from May 1969 - September 1970, and premiered on television in September 1970.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #457
ChrisFoxx
Alphan

Quote:
I just looked up the dates -- Doppelganger was filmed in the summer of 1968, and premiered in theaters in October 1969. UFO was filmed from May 1969 - September 1970, and premiered on television in September 1970.
Much obliged for the research, Chef!

Like I said, I hope I'm not bringing up what's already been said, I haven't been to this forum in ages and ages. But I saw those photos, and OMFG, I just couldn't believe what I saw!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #458
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:

I think I'm going to be sick.

Chris
I was sick!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #459
joenagle
Life Support Technician

Sorry to hear about the troubles in finishing the car Sean and best wishes for your South Africa jolly, but hey ho, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say We're all still dying to see the car somehow later on in the year
joenagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #460
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenagle View Post
Sorry to hear about the troubles in finishing the car Sean and best wishes for your South Africa jolly, but hey ho, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say We're all still dying to see the car somehow later on in the year
Hi Joe, thanks however I wouldnt class it as troubles exactly, its timing, my mouldmaker ran into a few problems, ie being injured on set and then his father dying and I don't use anyone else and certainly with this car and as I have said before I'm also very busy with 2 movie projects which i am writting, directing and producing so this car has never been full time it fits in around our schedule.
However we were determined to get it to Cosford but it was just not possible, its just means we can relax and take our time with it.

regards

Sean