SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

Default New Ray 8-wheeled "Amphi-Cat"-like ATV

Hi. Sean Huxter here.

Love this site. I read it a lot, and love to go through the photos of projects underway and completed. Thought I'd contribute something I don't think I've seen yet. Hope it's ok.

New Ray recently released a series of hunting figures, about 1.5 inches tall. Some of the sets come with hunting dogs, some with geese, etc. But the pertinent item in these sets is an 8-wheeled ATV that very closely resembles an Amphi-cat.

I'm currently working to customize a previously-unseen Moon Buggy. Since there are very few actual toys or models of the Amphi-cat, I guess we're forced to improvise.

Anyway, here's some photos. I was dumb enough not to take a shot of the toy before I began painting... but I did grab an image from the web:

The steering bars kind of snap off if you're careful. They're just glued in place. Hopefully with little effort you can remove the piece. The wheels twist off, conveniently. Then there's just one screw holding the chassis together. Remove that and you have a bottom piece, a top piece, and a floor/seat piece.

I used Krylon spraypaint (Fusion? I think so...) to paint the chassis in yellow, and a satin black for the seat.

Then I masked the body to paint the seat back and roll bar:

This is what it looks like assembled again:

Next up: I used a sheet of clear flexible plastic, put up against the body, with a marker, to rough out the size of some detail decals which I will be designing in Photoshop and printing out on Decal paper.

I'll post more later.

This is my first new thread. I thought some people would be interested in this toy, and the potential it has for a previously-unseen Moonbase Alpha vehicle.

Sean.
PMarlowe is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
EddieL
Computer Technician

That's looking really good.

Can't wait to see more.

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Hmmm, very interesting, nice work what kinda scale do you think it is. would it be good for like the mattel scale astronauts? or is it too small for that? thanks for posting pix.
eagleharbor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

Been thinking of scale. I'll post the actual dimensions later, but the figures that came with this are about army-soldier sized, and I was thinking I may be able to find that bag of 1970s Marx astronaut figures I picked up at a yard sale and paint them in Alpha colors for a diorama... not sure where this is all going, but when the decals are done, printed, and in place, I'll post more, and hopefully I'll have some idea of what else I'm going to do for this.

The ATV is about 3.7 inches long in total.

Last edited by PMarlowe; 03-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

Okay, progress. Since my last post I put a piece of flexible plastic over the toy, roughed out with a marker some shapes for decals, then got to work making the decals. This would have been a lot easier if I had still had Corel Draw, which is trapped on my old computer which died last year. I may still be able to recover it, but I'll need one of those Hard Drive boxes that will allow me to house a drive and read it.

So instead I had to use OpenOffice Draw, which took some time to get used to.

I found this great shot of the actual dash of a production Moonbuggy:

From that, I was able to make my own dashboard decals, seen below.

Anyway, here's the sheets of decals. The black-only is printed on clear sheet, the color decals on white.

Here is a progression of shots showing the decals being applied:

Hard to see the headlights, I guess, but I just did a Google search for rectangular headlights and used an image I found.

I also found that when slotting the body back onto the chassis, the two tabs at the rear got the yellow paint chipped from them. This provided me with an idea. Rather than repainting them yellow, I decided to paint them red as tail lights.

Probably not easily seen in these photos. But my next post will show the thing finished, body put back together, and it should be visible there.

The more I think about it, the more I want to put this into a diorama... stay tuned.

Sean.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Howard
Deputy Commander

Looking good! The raised diamond steel plate can be bought from plastruct I believe.
Nice Mal pistol too.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

So if the figures are, what, 35-40mm tall? That would make the model around 1/48 or 1/43?
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

I hate that I chucked out the figures, so I can't really measure them. But hey, I didn't think I could do a realistic conversion of two hunters with overalls into astronauts. :-)
Old 24-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
armadillozenith
Hydroponics Technician

Hi Sean, it's a very pleasant surprise to find you joining this forum. I remember your photo-stories using action figures with much pleasure.
That kit is indeed a good match for Alpha hardware. Fantastic detailing with the decals - you must have a steady hand!
-Graham King
armadillozenith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

Hey, Graham! What's up? Yeah, I've been a huge fan of 1999 since it aired in Canada in the 70s. Lately, I found my Moonbase Alpha ERTL kit in storage, and the Eagle, and decided to put them together. I've been trolling around here for a few months.

My next project will be the moonbase from the kit, made a BIT more accurate in layout, on a moonbase, and framed in a 20"x20" frame for the wall.