Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Default 1/72 Swift

Some shots of a recent finished kit : fanstatic² Alex's Swift (or fanstastic Alex fantastic Swift )

With dorsal tanks :

I will detail the WIP of this masterpiece soon. Have to compile my notes first and then translate it in english.

Olivier
Harlock is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Commissioner Simmonds
Hydroponics Technician

That is stunning! - Well done on the build.
Commissioner Simmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

Fantastic job, nice panel detail and weathering.The swift is one of my favorite ship design next to the eagle.
jeb1138 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Great job, Harlock! Alex provided a fantastic model and you built it professionally. Thank you for sharing.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks for your compliments

Have to say that I am pretty proud of this one, it is in the top 3 of all my built kits.

Old 22-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
healvis
Communications Officer

Very nice work Olivier.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

Beautiful!
The painted panel work is outstanding.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Thank you very much yours praises.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Simply stunning..!

Could you post a WIP blog of this build? Any help I could get to a result like that would be very welcome...
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks.
For the WIP, i am writing it (~80%), and then have to translate it.
It is in pause and would not be ready before 2 weeks, as I am preparing a Space1999 models exhibition stand for an event this week end in Paris.

Old 23-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Beautiful, simply beautiful, Olivier

I am sooooo jalous of your orange/red finish. You should send a pic to Martin Bower as I am sure he would appreciate such a faithfull build up of his work. He has one of my kit too.

Here's a link to Olivier's blog with lots more S:1999 kits he is working (DROOLING WARNING!): http://olcabour.hangar.blog.free.fr/
Alex Dumas is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Alex Dumas
Astrophysics Technician

Oh! I have only one Swift in stock by the way
http://www.scihighmodels.com/trading.html
Alex Dumas is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #13
techno
Astrophysics Technician

This is a Superb Model Build! You did a Top Notch Job,Almost thought it was a Studio Miniature because You did so Well! Dan
techno is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Merci beaucoup Alex.
Peut être peux-tu lui transmettre ?

Thank you Dan.
It is nice to read comments like yours is as I tried to be as close as possible to the original studio model paint job.
Old 27-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
sliuman
Forum Supporter

A master at work!
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
feet16
Alphan

Encore une très belle réalisation !!!
On sent que tu travail avec passion, bravo, vraiment bravo !!!
La peinture est à tombé par terre...

Another wonderful achievement!
We feel that you work with passion, bravo, really well done!
The paint is very very good ...

Last edited by feet16; 11-06-2013 at 08:40 AM.
feet16 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks again feet16.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

It take me longer then I expected, but here is the start of the WIP.

First, I will begin with some "history" on this kit, before I really started to assemble it.

This describes various stages over several years. And at each stage, I resumed writing directly after, but never publish it.
Initially it was intended to be published a french magazine about collectors products called Dixième Planète (Tenth Planet), and where I used to write model kits news and reviews articles. The completion of the master took too long, the magazine stopped before, and this never happen. So all this is more a following of feelings notes (so, it remained a the draft !).

Review of the kit

This kit of the Swift (curiously translated in Cruiser in the French dubbing), produced and directed by Alexandre Dumas / Sci-hi model is a must have for any Space1999 modeler. Alex sent me his progress steadily over the months period of its making.
Here is the first review "out of the box" kit received in late 2009, made before receiving the instructions (which was not ready at that time) :

This review was not complete because I did preferred to not yet open bags where there was the smaller parts.
Besides, I have to say that without the instructions, and given the number of parts, the placement of many of the smaller ones do not come altogether and some remained totally obscure to me.
Comparing with pictures of the original model, the proportions are there. We can find all the details. It was not an easy job for Alex, given the low level of documentation available on the subject.

Turned metal parts are superb. Small nozzles that have a larger neck are those that fit the back of the control module.
The large nozzle has grooves that perfectly match the original model.

The casting is rather clean.
However, the two large dorsal tanks may be require some putty before sanding to keep a perfect curve.

Assembling the side modules (with doors) will require special attention: the alignment is not easy to achieve with such long parts.

The landing gear shock absorbers parts are hollowed, like a tube!
This is the first time I see that on a resin kit of parts of this delicacy ! Hats off !

On the main body and the control modules, the slots for the nozzles will need to be expand to allow their insertion.
Curiously, the VTOL and the secondary rear engines cylinders do not have a hole to insert the nozzles.

The small resin nozzles at the back of the dorsal tanks, that look like the Hawk one, are beautiful and very thin.
On the flattened cylinders that come onto the main engine, several small ears broke in the shipping, but as everything is packed, they remained in the small bag. Phew! It will just takes 3s to glue them back.

There are a lot a decals. I think I will paint the windshields and antiglare rather than used the decals.

There are also many metal rods. Such as aluminum pne would be for landing gear, I guess the brass ones are for the assembly (or so it is a Mikado game )

Without the instructions, the review of this kit was finally a series of feelings. Indeed, the assembly seems complex and delicate (especially the feet), the lack of instructions being here really confusing and it was difficult to follow the course of the review.
In short, this is clearly not a kit for beginners.

A few months later, few notes after receiving the instructions :
It's much more complicated than I thought! Here are some comments after a first look:
- It's well done, explicit a regular modeler, but also for a less experimented one, as all the tips are specified. Photos during Alex assembly are very welcome because it speak louder than text.
- Ouch, it is not in the metric system! For measurements, the conversion is easy, by cons, the appropriate drills, it does not exist in this side of the Atlantic!
- P5 / 6: there are some suggestion on the mounting direction that seems curious, like for the side modules. I think rather go in the opposite direction: glue the pod part, and then drill holes for brass rods to the back and their opposite in the main body. So the more classic method that avoids to use filler on the viewable faces and allows to paint them separately (and therefore easier)
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

In late 2011, I started the assembly, hoping to have it finished for Migennes Collector 2012's convention, where I first exhibited my "little" Space1999 collection.

The first step in a resin kit is invariably a stage of cleaning the parts.
Molding seams are sanded. Despite it was important on the 2 long upper tanks (which is often difficult to catch up on cylindrical or spherical parts as the curvature usually takes a hit in such situation), but ultimately, there was rather excess material to be removed so it went well.

Filling bubbles with small plastic rods and superglue.
They are not numerous, and mainly located at:
- Small discs feet
- The neck of the central module

The back of the cheeks of the head is the most difficult place to clean, because the bubbles are tiny, located just below the surface, and are concentrated near a joint molding. I did not notice on the first side, and with this type of bubbles, it is extremely difficult to catch.
I was much lighter on the other side and was able to avoid a second headache.

Seeing the volume of work, and what I still had to do on the dioramas, I put the kit on pause.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Harlock
Travel Tube Technician

A little over a year later, I went back to work on this kit for a new Space1999 display stand.

Preparation and parts cleaning was already well progressed, I started directly by the assembly of the sides and upper modules.
Both sides of the top and lateral modules are glued end to end, strengthening the bonding with rods (piano or brass wire).
I used slow curing superglue, guides and clamps to secure the alignment.

The filled is cleaned with acetone or nail cleaner, curiously this damaged a little the surface of the resin (this is the first time it happened for me with resin). I tried to catch up that, but was not satisfied, so I let this aside to see that later after a good shot of primer (which later proved to be good enough).

Then I drilled the locations of the nozzles.
Same operation on the head to connect the neck and the central body.

Rods are also provided to secure the modules on the central body. They will be glued after painting.

Filling a few bubbles that I had forgotten during these operations.
On the head and the central body, the locations of small nozzles and tune metal discs are enlarged so they can go in properly.
On the 2 large dorsal tanks, it is also preferable to keep the two small nozzles with thin brass. hey hold just as it unglued for easy transport and storage.

These tanks are connected together by two small plates of resin molded directly with a brass rod therethrough for support.

These two plates would then be stick on the upper module, but I found it too fragile, so I had to find a trick to have a better secure system. Problem, the plate thickness is not adequate to accept small vertical rods like on the side modules. So I take some hollow grooves on the upper module to add some material (small rectangular plastic card) to its opposite on the plate. With that, the rods hold better, but it still remained limited.
(we will see later that this was still not enough).