Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Default I remember it being bad, but...

So there we are, just finished our Sunday tea, sit down and have a flick through the channels to see what's on.
ITV 4 have 1999 so have a butchers to see which it is.
It's second series, Seance Spectre.
Now, i've kept away from the second batch, having a real problem with Maya and Tony whatisface.
But, there's a crashed Eagle trying to take off a planet, with most landing legs smashed.
"Cool" thinks i, "don't think i've seen this"
So, give it a go...
Oh. My. God.
Bad enough the hideously inappropriate disco music ruining any sort of tension in that bit but, if i'm right (i was watching through my fingers when this bit came up), Maya saves Koening from oxygen starvation by turning into a bunch of Plants??????????????????
Is that right?
If so, how come Lost In Space gets lambasted for its talking carrot and this piffel gets away with it?
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Ah, but Lost In Space had comets that could fry spaceships (ever try to fry something with a ball of ice?), silver cowboys, silver mexican bandits, silver lady robots, silver junk dealers, robots made out of old petrol pumps, knights in shining armour (silver), the campest bad guy ever to mince his way through a TV series, a ten foot high spaceship with three decks one above the other, a crew so incredibly stupid as to not throw Smith out the airlock after episode one (actually I'd throw them all out except one), a chimpanzee wearing a furry hat and ears, a spaceship that bursts into flames at the first sign of practically anything, carrot men, plant men, seaweed man, recycled planet of the apes man, disco planets, bad facial hair, hell's angels in space, female characters who are prepared to ignore the fact the planet is about to blow up as long as they can get lunch ready for the men, a zoo keeper, a fun fair owner, a pirate complete with robot parrot, Kurt Russell, alien hillbillies...

Do you want me to stop yet?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Do continue, I was enjoying that.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Default los

You have a good point DX . . . . . . but so does Mangamax..... its a tough call.......................................... BUT, the Eagle swings the deal, it as you would expect it . . . . . . . EVERY time

even if the story is cr@p we still watch space 1999 it for the fantastic models..... dont we

by the way.... ho ho ho
Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

I watched it too...

I think it lost a lot of credibility when, during the fight scene, Sanderson's helmet visor is clearly seen open for several seconds, and he's happily carrying on with the fight.

Surely the continuity people would have caught this sort of thing (though I know at also happened in Breakaway during the fight at the beginning).

Thought the Eagle shots were interesting - though wonder why the damaged Eagle, on remote control, is brought down 90 degrees from it's normal attitude (i.e. facing away from the boarding tube).

Another question - when Maya transforms in to a plant - how does her spacesuit manage to transform with her ?

And while the second season theme tune isn't bad as such, the constant music droning through 'action' scenes ruins all suspense and tension...and does my head in !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

I agree with everything you say DX, but its the perceived wisdom that, after the first batch of episodes or so, Lost In Space was pure tripe.
And, as it went on, aimed more for the under ten's.
My point is that 1999 was never to my knowledge labelled in such a way, even though it has stinkers like tonights (watched the end after typing the above and boy it didn't improve).
I'm just stunned at how bad it iwas.
By the way, Kurt Russell is in a LIS episode?????
What series?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

.... Thor, alien vending machines, gladiators, prospectors, magicians, lilliput robots, futuristic arab chieftains, giant green frogs, deformed cabbage heads, paper mache dragons, beauty contests, creatures who eat nothing but rubies (no, not curries), astral storms, solar storms, cosmic storms, electrical storms, temporal storms, light houses in space, offering the Jupiter ii as a holiday resort to aliens, ice princesses....

Kurt Russell: Series 1 "The Challenge", he's about twelve years old.

I think the problem with Space 1999 was that the first series was aimed at adults. The second series was aimed at ten year olds.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Must say, did like this fella on the left.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

But this, THIS sums it all up:

Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Almost as bad as a fully clothed woman changing into the contents of a large greenhouse and back again.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

DX-SFX - Walk away from the LIS DVD's... they can't hurt you anymore

I watched Seance Spectre as well and have to admit that it was worth watching for the giggle factor only...
I keep putting off buying series 2 on DVD so I haven't seen that for years... I might keep putting off buying series 2....

The whole Maya thing just kills it dead...
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Almost as bad as a fully clothed woman changing into the contents of a large greenhouse and back again.
The idea may be flawed granted but LIS would've dressed Maya in a sunflower outfit.

Quote:
The whole Maya thing just kills it dead...
Yep. Cheap gimmick. The second series of 1999 was dumbed down so even morons could enjoy it who unfortunately make up a large proportion of the TV audience as a whole. LIS is a prime example of that same thinking. The problem is at what point do you draw the line? If X,Y and Z guarantee the biggest audience then logically all shows will be made of X,Y and Z to try to appeal to the biggest audience. It's still going on today with film. Fortunately the wise realise that the vast majority of people are tiring of the same old thing and want something fresh, new and different. Gerry's shows were always original until Friedburger arrived.

Quote:
Another question - when Maya transforms in to a plant - how does her spacesuit manage to transform with her ?
Why stop there? Why do her clothes change with her period? Where does her mass go? Does she turn into a hundred and forty pound mouse? Can her tiny mouse brain operate as a mouse and have all the memory and intelligence of a human/alien?

Quote:
DX-SFX - Walk away from the LIS DVD's... they can't hurt you anymore
Can't..... tear myself..... away!.... Must press the stop..... button on........ the ..remote or......... perish....... AAAARGH!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #13
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Agreed.... those nasty cheap gimmicks will kill it every time.

I have been told by some of our colonial cousins that an introduced gimmick or plot change is called 'jumping the shark' after a shameful 'Happy Days' episode where Fonzie water ski jumps over a shark in a dumb bid to get the ratings up again... Well off plot for the show and the beginning of the end! I wonder if Fried Fartburger directed that as well...?

Put those LIS DVD's on eBay... or do you fear for your soul if you did such a thing...? I spose it would be a bit like 'The Ring' to pass them on
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
JericoEagle1
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric
Agreed.... those nasty cheap gimmicks will kill it every time.

I have been told by some of our colonial cousins that an introduced gimmick or plot change is called 'jumping the shark' after a shameful 'Happy Days' episode where Fonzie water ski jumps over a shark in a dumb bid to get the ratings up again... Well off plot for the show and the beginning of the end! I wonder if Fried Fartburger directed that as well...?

Put those LIS DVD's on eBay... or do you fear for your soul if you did such a thing...? I spose it would be a bit like 'The Ring' to pass them on
Your friend is right thats what we here in the states call a gimmick used by a Television show to get the ratings up but fails. Introducing 7 of 9 to Voyager to get its ratings up is an example of that as well though I think that actually worked.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/
JericoEagle1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Cor Seven of Nine, I had forgotton about Jeri Ryan, ooh you had to love that costume.

Do you know I am now quite reluctant to actually even open my season one and two sets of LiS after reading these repilies, trouble is that I remember it fondly from the original TV screenings in the 60s although I am remembering through rose tinted glasses.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JericoEagle1
Your friend is right thats what we here in the states call a gimmick used by a Television show to get the ratings up but fails. Introducing 7 of 9 to Voyager to get its ratings up is an example of that as well though I think that actually worked.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/
Cheers for the link!

I was glad to see 'The Prisoner' got a 'never jumped the shark' rating.

Another one you either love or hate....
Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #17
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB
Cor Seven of Nine, I had forgotton about Jeri Ryan, ooh you had to love that costume.

Do you know I am now quite reluctant to actually even open my season one and two sets of LiS after reading these repilies, trouble is that I remember it fondly from the original TV screenings in the 60s although I am remembering through rose tinted glasses.
Do yourself a favour and buy 'The Herbs' and 'The Clangers' on DVD
Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric
Do yourself a favour and buy 'The Herbs' and 'The Clangers' on DVD
Somehow I don't think the Soup Dragon will have quite the same effect as 7 of 9...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

That is very true but I was thinking more of an alternative to LIS

The acting and storylines in the Herbs and the Clangers are much better than in LIS!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #20
AceMartini
Communications Officer

TonyB -- Go ahead and watch the first 5 or 6 episodes of LIS. And then don't go any farther. I think you won't damage your memories too much if you do that....
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote