Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Original Studio Model

I recently started to make a studio scale model of the Liquid Oxygen Truck from the 'Avalanche' episode of Captian Scarlet.

My build starts with a floor made from 5mm acrylic and some C section alloy. To use the Johnny Express cab interior, my plans showed the floor to be stepped (in case anyone was wondering why I had a step in this section). My design also placed the 'step' so that it would be boxed in with the mid section of the truck.

The front sides and mid section get started with 2mm plastic used for those parts. The corner pieces are sandwiched 5mm, 3mm and 2mm acrylic shaped to replicate the grooves cut into the original model. An old JetX engine has been secured using a tool clip. The front 8mm stainless steel bolt will form the front axle pivot.

The mid section is provides space for the 'liquid oxygen' (water in my model). A water pump was tested before fitting and I got a jet of water about 4' long that should be ok when the pipework is connected to the two rear water outlets.

The mid section will also contain the lighting battery and switch.

Last edited by LeeXi; 25-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
LeeXi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

This is looking great so far LeeXi. I'm not sure if you have seen this thread of Paul Gray's version ? It might be helpful...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...n+Truck&page=5
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Closing it all in. The top lid is removable to gain access to my wiring and 'liquid oxygen' plumbing. Initial filling of seams to the mid section done

Last edited by LeeXi; 24-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 24-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Slate Mcleod - thanks. Yes, I have seen the Paul Gray thread. It is interesting but opted to make my version in a way that best suits my style.
Old 24-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Before the cab goes on I will be making and attaching the front axle assembly.

Which M-40 toy tank wheels to use for the roller wheels? At first I tried the toy tanks larger plain wheels for my trucks' front axle upper wheels but something didn't seem quite right. In my design, the axle would not position high enough without the track being too high.

Using some enlarged screen grabs shows that the smaller 'spoked' M-40 toy tank wheels are used. The little section I have included in the plan shows the track guide lugs outside of the wheel - only possible with the spoked wheel.

To help make sure wheels and tracks fit ok before making the proper assembly I tested my design very simply using nails for axles and overlaid parts over my front axle plan.

The M-40 toy tank has 34 links for each of its two tracks. My design uses 33 links per front track - if I want a slacker looking track I can soon pop the spare links back in.

Last edited by LeeXi; 24-07-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Old 27-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Start of the front axle assembly. Mostly acrylic of various thicknesses used for these couple of bits.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Seperate drawings were used for some axle detail. Wooden front/rear edges and the central/end plastic pieces added to the front axle assembly.

Last edited by LeeXi; 01-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Had another mess with a screen grab and a couple of dark coloured parts, tucked away in the shadows, became noticeable.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Reduced size image of the parts layout for the Liquid Oxygen Truck's front wheel and track guard assembly. This assembly has been started but nothing worth taking a photo of yet.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Dave
Communications Officer

Facinating stuff!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeXi View Post

Had another mess with a screen grab and a couple of dark coloured parts, tucked away in the shadows, became noticeable.
what where they? look like a car radiator from a plastic kit

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
Dave
Communications Officer

This, like a lot of Anderson models, has the advantage of being destroyed in the episode (actually crashes twice!), so you get a nice look at all angles (including inside even):

Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The model that comes apart at the bottom appears to be a dummy version - all the heavy mechanics for the chassis are missing and the tracks are just wrapped around plain wooden shapes that have no wheels.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Mike Delamar - I don't know what those couple of dark coloured parts are. All I was going to do is fabricate them.

Dave - thanks for the screen grabs. I agree with Mark42 that the model at the end of the crash sequence is a dummy. The underside of my model is minimal because it's not as though it will be seen - I don't intend to recreate the crash sequence :-)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
LeeXi
Medical Technician

The front axle track boxes main parts cut and glued together. 1.5mm plastic used for the side parts and 2mm plastic for everything else. Other work to be done to these couple of components.

Last edited by LeeXi; 10-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
LeeXi
Medical Technician

There looks to be some thin 'bolt head' shaped parts on the sides of the track boxes. I was going to stick some metal ones on but decided against that to help keep total weight down. Instead I'm making some from fibreglass resin in a simple plasticine mold.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
LeeXi
Medical Technician

While the 'bolt heads' are being made I can post progress of the trucks' cab so far. Most of my Liquid Oxygen truck cab makes use of the Johnny Express cab and its interior. The interior footwells were cut out with a few detailing parts added. Main cab parts had various modifications. Adding the center bar to the cab front changes the whole appearance of the cab - sort of looks more menacing to me.

I used an interior part from the Johnny Express cab to cut the headlamps from. The original Johnny Express steering wheel was also used with a few simple modifications.

The final image is how the cab looks at present. Grey primer being used for most of the interior colour that looks to the eye a lot darker than the photo suggests. Seats were raised so that the Johnny Express driver had a raised position. The cab sides were very 'bowed' so some alloy angle glued to the cab sides to restore shape.

Last edited by LeeXi; 12-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
LeeXi
Medical Technician

A temporary assemble of the front tracks to see if they function as expected. They almost did! Just a couple of small problems to sort out.

Last edited by LeeXi; 11-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
LeeXi
Medical Technician

Before taking the tracks apart I took this photo to show all progress so far. Cab is loose fitted until the front bumper bar (still to do) is attached.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
LeeXi
Medical Technician

I've made a short movie of the front tracks being tested. Uploaded to YouTube with the title of Captain Scarlet, Liquid Oxygen Truck:

Last edited by Exterminator; 12-08-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Embedded Youtube movie