Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
eaglesnut
Chef

Default paper eagle

does anyone has ever built a paper eagle ?
eaglesnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I don't think anyone here has succeeded yet, building this one:

http://www.websamba.com/paper_eagle/eagle.html

It's not for the feint-hearted...

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Northerner
Communications Officer

eagle-1 was building one a year ago but he never posted anything about it.
Northerner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Eagle-1

Still working on it. (I get the hint Eagle......). It's not that hard, but very time consuming. I'm about 60% at the moment, but the house work has halted all but the dabbling with the models. Before that, the new lathe took up a few weeks till the new wore off.

The one I'm building is for Eagle (Mark). I promised him a picture of the cages and spine at least 6 months ago and I'm sure he's turned blue holding his breath. I'm sure when he saw this new thread, he said yeah right... I gotta say this about it, y'all should try it. It looks really nice once it starts coming together. Just wait, I'll show ya'.

It is in progress Mark. Don't give up on it. I'll take some pictures and post them in this thread instead of sending them just to Mark.....howzat?

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

I. for one, would enjoy seeing them.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Eagle-1

Good enough! I really do need to get back on this. I'm not the only one who'll be glad when it's finished!

Rob.
Old 26-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
eaglesnut
Chef

a hard work

began 1 years ago

stop due to the landing gear (not understand how to roll the paper)

here 2 pictures

http://www.hiboox.com/lang-fr/image....g=jngrw699.jpg

http://www.hiboox.com/lang-fr/image....g=67zpeyet.jpg

congratulations for people whose achieved it.
Old 26-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Pas malÖ.pas mal du tout!! Itís looking very good and would be a waste not to finish it!
Bonne chance pour le reste!
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
cricket
Medical Officer

Quite simply, wow!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Still working on it. (I get the hint Eagle......).
Heheh, seriously - I'm in no real rush for it. Wednesday will be fine.

Having started one myself, I know it's something that can't be rushed. The worst thing for me was the pain. It'll hurt yer fingers!

Old 26-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
eaglesnut
Chef

thanks for your encouragements

does anyone has yet built the landing gear ? how to proceed ?

someone got own pictures of a finish eagle paper ?

ps : the picture on the left isn't a paper eagle (not yet)
Old 27-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
Eagle-1

Allright,

Here's where yours is at Mark. I showed the CM a few months ago along with the passenger pod....although I can't seem to find those pictures now.......

I have all the pieces finally cut out and will be proceeding as soon as I can. Forgive the bad pictures folks. Inside pictures and ding dong operator.

Rob.
Old 27-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Looks mighty fine to me!
Old 27-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
Northerner
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Heheh, seriously - I'm in no real rush for it. Wednesday will be fine.
wednesday of what year? LOL

is that spine made of rolled paper? if so, what a major pain in the ass that had to be!
Northerner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

What scale (ok its paper, I know) is it? Once you got the hang of it I suppose it would be much easier than brass to glue together. Is it sprayed with a clear coat or something to seal it?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Eagle-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletransporter View Post
Pas malÖ.pas mal du tout!! Itís looking very good and would be a waste not to finish it!
Bonne chance pour le reste!
Yes eaglesnut, don't give up! In my opinion, you've done the hardest part already. From looking at the cutouts for the landing gear (I assume you're stuck on the shaft part?),Just roll it so that the long pieces roll onto themselves and the long tabs make slightly larger sections which will look like larger tube around a smaller tube, if that makes sense. I'll be able to help more when I get to that section pretty soon, but I don't forsee much problem there.

Thank you Mark. If you like it, I'm tickled pink! After all........

Northerner, yes, it's all rolled paper so far. Hundreds upon millions of itty bitty pieces of rolled paper about the diameter of a toothpick. It's a ball and fun for all.......so far. Ask Eagle, he's got a few more gray hairs than he had before he tried it! You should try it. Heck everyone should. It's one of the best looking Eagle models in quite awhile and was given to us for free! It is certainly the best looking Eagle you're likely to see for the price, hands down.

One thing I've noticed so far. You would think that an Eagle spine made of paper would be a very fragile thing. I guarantee I could rest a full can of soda (at least) dead center of the spine in those pictures and wouldn't be scared at all. Once everything on that cagework is glued together, it's very strong!

Ok, I'm off. All of a sudden, I've got a Wednesday deadline! (One loophole Northerner....he didn't specify what Wednesday ).

Rob.
Old 27-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Eagle-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
What scale (ok its paper, I know) is it? Once you got the hang of it I suppose it would be much easier than brass to glue together. Is it sprayed with a clear coat or something to seal it?
Hey Tony42,

I don't think we were ever given a scale, but I think it ends up just a little bigger than a 12" PE, so you can see what size all those little tubes are. I thought the same thing about the construction too. No problem.....it's paper. There can't be much to it, right??????

Just like Eagle said......It AIN'T for the faint of heart. Truer words were never spoken. I've built many Eagles all different kinds of ways and this one is the toughest, or, I should say time consuming anyway.

I know, I just said everyone should try it, and they should, but be warned. If you're like me, you can't rush it. Sticking those small tubes together is kinda like building a house of cards sometimes. It'll all simply fall apart sometimes for no apparent reason if you're not watching. No, there is no sealer or anything like that, simply paper glued together. I personally printed the one I'm building on standard 8 1/2 X 11 paper using a laser printer set to "glossy" as the finish. The colors seem to have came out a little brighter that way, but I think it looks better than the dull, dim one pictured we were given as a goal by the guys who designed the model (the picture of the finished one at the download site and in Eagles picture above).

Building an Eagle spine out of brass is much easier than this thing at times, although I've never glued a brass frame, always soldered. You have to roll the tubes just right as the ends are made with the notches in them already and that means you also have to cut everything out almost perfectly too.

I say, y'all should try it.

Rob.
Old 27-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

These things are easy to design but rarely do the designers have to build them. Good luck to you with that one.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #19
Eagle-1

True!

This one'll make you want to pull some hair out at times.

Rob.
Old 27-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
eaglesnut
Chef

thanks eagle-1 for your encouragements and explication, if you haven't too much glue on your fingers, think to take pictures.....

i suggest, i don't know if you are agree folks, to double the size of the prints of this paper eagle ????!!!!! it will be easier for those who wants to start, no????

but after you need a big room to stand him.

i will continue soon the landing gear parts and the engine, eagle-1 will have finish before me it's sure...