Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

Default Iconic Replicas Thunderbird incoming???

I pre-ordered all 3 Thunderbirds around this time last year as an impulse birthday present but also secured them at a good pre-order price from Forbidden Planet, a lot less than retail now as they increased the price just before launch.

Anyway, got the "model whose name should not be mentioned!" aka " big green banana" in Sept 07 and which is secreted away in the loft like some family embarrasment.

got a phone call today from F/Planet telling me that they had them in stock now and would I still want one! Do you think this is because of the widespread disgust and complaints about the TB2 (oh bugger I went and said its name!)???

I still have a lot of hope (blind faith?) that TB1 & TB3 will turn out to be a lot better and harder to get so wrong. Certainly, the pictures of both prototypes look a lot more promising.

Should be getting her soon.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by garygumps; 21-01-2008 at 06:34 PM.
garygumps is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

Well, TB1 arrived today but haven't had a chance to check her out yet, and heres why.

These things arrive by courier, TNT, and they are very well packed. There is the box itself, inside another box inside another box. Thats two outer packing cases with filler/polystyrenes packing inbetween layers.

Anyway, it was delivered today, with most of one side absolutely soaking (probably left in a puddle in the depot with all todays heavy rain here in NI). Because the cardboard was wet it had been "dinged" in at least 2 layers and I was afraid the actual presentation box was damaged as well. Luckily it is only a bit wet so I am letting the cardboard dry out before removing the model.

Hopefully it will be OK and I will not need to return it as the shipping crate is only fit for the recycling tip!!!

After TB2, my expectations have been lowered somewhat, but from all the photos and stuff it looks more a faithful representation than TB2.

Actually looking forward to TB3 the most as it is the craft I have the less models of. It is due next month apparently.

Be in touch soon.

Gary (more money than sense apparently!!!)
Old 21-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
cricket
Medical Officer

pictures!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Just goes to show how badly things can go wrong for a company. IF TB2 had been done well, I would have bought all three Studio Scale pieces as a collection. As it stands, I will buy none of them. A lose - lose situation.

That said, yes - let's see those pics!!!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

Yep, pics please Gary as I have nothing to buy at the moment. But be prepared to take some flak off the guys (I know I did when I bought the Bannana) but who cares its my green bendy thing and I wouldnt swap it for, say a studio 44" Eagle.Actually I lied about the last
Steve D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

No flak at all. Its no bodies fault for buying a TB2 or anything, its the company's fault for selling it. The advert picks (of the original larger model) were used to do lots of the selling, so no flak. Really interesting in seeing what you think garygumps. Fingers crossed
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

Tony, have you heard anything about the IR TB3 apart from the stuff on their website, images etc etc as I really want this one and I have a few quid stashed that the ball and chain dont know about
Old 22-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i think most of the members here have a stash like that Steve, looking forward to some pics Gary
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

The problem as I see it paul, is that if all our "better halves" could just see how nice our collections look in the living room Im sure that we would not need to , er save for a rainy day and hide stuff from them not that I ever would you understand. In fact I think a new post is called for,just for fun and maybe a few tips....
Old 22-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
paul gray
Forum Supporter

sounds like a good idea Steve
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

Just done it, check it out, should be fun.
Old 23-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

As I mentioned in another thread I have absolutely no interest what so ever in most of the new IR releases, they are just not good enough for the prices being charged, and I will go as far as to say that they are basically not good enough for about half of the retail the price either.

As Eagle mentioned, they have shot themselves in the foot, a lose, lose situation indeed.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

Still haven't had a chance to look at the model yet folks!!!!

So much going on here at home, mainly a bought a brand new spanking PC which arrived the day after, about a week earlier than expected. So much of my time has been spent trying to set that up. Upgrading from Windows 98 straight to Vista has been a bloody pain in the ass to put it mildly. Just the look of the thing gets a lot of getting used too, and all the extra nanny security is a culture shock, continually getting in the way of me trying to do anything.

Theres also workmen in and out the place this week, so old TB1 is still in her "hanger". At least the box has dried out OK.

Anyway, I'll have to invest in a digital camera if i'm to take any photos folks. Sorry.
Old 24-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I just saw one in one of our shops.... Its terrible!!!. The nose is as I suspected completely wrong...they made the mistake Mark42 corrected on his... the cone is too big. The angled part that joins the blue reactor housing to the upper fuselage is too long, as in the angle is not flat enough and the holes for the pitch and yaw rockets are too large. The wings appear to be too fat (reminds me of my TB1 play set ), and the panel lines I mention are too deep... why they put them on the four fins on the rockets I don't know, but worst of all there is even one that rings the nose cone so that it looks like the top comes off to let the sauce or shampoo out.

The worst thing is the very careless paint job. The white touch ups where lettering has been sprayed on are legion, and the two black rings end with ragged edges about 5mm from the Thunderbird lettering... right on the front of the model.

I hope TB3 is put together with some care. This particular example... obviously not all these problems will be on every example... seems to show an incredible lack of care in finish. The resin flash hasn't been cleaned out of the holes etc properly and the painting is just plain sloppy.

The trolley pad thing it sits on is all wrong, but the hangar part is ok.

I am most disappointed. I am also so glad I bought the one I did. I cannot work out what has gone wrong with these people. This makes the weathering on the Shado Mobiles look like a Masterpiece.
Old 24-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
w8cmp
Science Officer

Probably made in a different factory to the die casts...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Must be. I should make a correction, the launch platform depicted is the early one with enclosed wheels, so that hangar and launch platform are good for upgrading. I should also be said that this model could be fixed quite easily with some filling cutting and repainting etc. Its way too expensive for what it is. What I really hate is that its not nit picking, the mistakes and workmanship are very ordinary stuff. I still don't get it.
Old 24-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

Ok folks, finally got around to unpacking TB1. What a job that was in itself! Enough film, tape and polystyrene to sink a battleship.

First impressions? Well its not as bad a botch up as TB2. Thats not saying much, or maybe expectation levels have been well lowered.

All the points that Tony42 mentioned are valid, although on my model, the paint job is maybe not so bad. The nose cone is not like the promotional pictures, which I realise is the original prototype probably. The nose cone is completely different from pictures. So, why can't they be copied properly??

The promotional material is what the customer is being advertised, and the actual models are not a true representation, in my opinion. Surely this is legal misrepresentation???

Back to the model though. Yes there is heavy (touch too much) panel detail on all surfaces, but i suppose when you upscale models to this size you have to put on some extra detail. The panel lines are all mostly black washed in and I think that they would have actually looked better left unpainted. The whole model actually is under-weathered I think, the only detail being the filled in panel lines.

The thickness of the wings I think is OK and looks in proportion. I mean, they have to be thick enough to contain the landing gear, and are not unrealistically razor thin like in a lot of models.

OMG!!! I've just noticed the biggest foo-pah The "TB1" markings on the engines are upside down!!! Jesus! They are definitely the wrong way up and would read upside down when in horizontal flight. I checked with the box photo and the "TB1's" on that model are the right orientation.

The hanger bits are OK, but still a bit short of detail IMO. Best bit is the floor and rail detail.

I think I may be able to get my hands on a camera, so hopefully will get some shots up soon.

I had real hopes for model (but in retrospect these were based on the prototype) and wanted to really like this one. Thing is, I dont think i could be arsed sending it back as the packing boxes were totalled by rain and had to just throw them away. I could probably live with the accuracy interpretations, as what is a 100% accurate model of a Thunderbird craft. The bit that is really annoying me now is the wrong lettering on the engine. In vertical launch position, you could probably get away with it, but does anyone think this is acceptable? Should i contact IR and tell them that QC is crap!!!
Old 24-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Your contract is with the retailer you purchased it from. Take/send it back and let him/her get another one from IR. Upside down lettering is pathetic and unacceptable.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

You're right DX, will be on the phone first thing to Forbidden Planet. That'll be both IR "replicas" I'll have sent back

The more I look at TB1, the more disappointed I get. The big "1" on the blue section is not even in line centrally with the engine wing & winglets. The wings don't have "TB1"'s on them (they should have shouldn't they?).

When you look directly from above, she is not even circular, more an oval shape, I kid you not!

Is there any hope that they get TB3 right?. On this evidence, no.
Old 24-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

If these 'replicas' were a foot long and cost $70 I would still be disappointed about the fit & finish ofth shipping product. At ten times that cost for a much larger version it is both bizarre and unacceptable. UPSIDE DOWN lettering?? Who is looking at them in Quality Control?
Doesn't IR realize if you go after the Uber-Collector market you need to produce a product in keeping with that market?
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote