Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
eurosector
Astrophysics Technician

Default Journey to the Far Side of the Sun DVD re-release

According to the UFO Series website, the film JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (which features many actors and props seen in UFO) will be re-released on DVD in the USA on June 24th! More info here.
eurosector is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosector View Post
According to the UFO Series website, the film JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (which features many actors and props seen in UFO) will be re-released on DVD in the USA on June 24th! More info here.
WOO HOO!!!! FINALLY!!!!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's great news. Soon we shall get a multi region thing.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I think we have to face the simple fact that the film is really rubbish!
The only real reason for watching it is to see the UFO props and actors and Dereks Meddings model work - especially the Dove which I really like.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
The only real reason for watching it is to see the UFO props and actors and Dereks Meddings model work - especially the Dove which I really like.

Totally agree
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Yup. As I've mentioned in the past, there's also nostalgia value for me: it's one of the first movies I ever saw in my life that I have lucid memories of watching!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
as a film it's depressingly negative.
Or upliftingly positive, depending which planet you're on !

I think the main problem with the movie is that it was based on a script that was originally intended as a TV drama. The ideas just aren't developed far enough for a big screen feature, and the cast gives it a very TV movie feel. Visually and technically it stands up well though.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Everyone has their own opinion, and it took me a long time to see the film, but i thought it was a very cool idea, and like it very much.

I got jazzed with the opening, the eye camera and all that... I was hoping that he was going to fire the eye out the window to another agent!!! LOL

I'd love to see this remade. I think it has allot of potential, even if the execution was a little off..
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Objectively, I know that this movie falls flat in a few areas, but nevertheless I'm fascinated by it! In its defence: Patrick Wymark's rather good as the opinionated EUROSEC boss, the FX shot of the Phoenix in orbit is one of the best ever, the interrogation scene is genuinely unsettling, and the musical score is superb (Barry Gray's best work). Ultimately, though, I can't explain in prosaic terms why I'm so taken by it.

This DVD is definitely on my shopping list - thanks for putting the word out, Eurosector. Here's hoping some nice, juicy 'extras' come with this re-release.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I've seen the extras already!
...They're called 'UFO'!
Now that was funny

Personally whenever I watch the film I just keep thinking dump the wife, hook up with the babe and leave the Phoenix in orbit - its not worth the effort, and risking your life, just to get back to the same planet as you're already on!

Old 25-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

I'm sure when it was shown on TV once they flipped the picture after the arrival on the new planet (presumably the broadcaster thought they were correcting a mistake...?) - so in effect for the rest of the film we are watching the Glen Ross from the reversed planet who is puzzled by text that reads correctly for us, so to the viewer it makes it seem much more likely that he is simply having a mental breakdown.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I can remember ITV flipping the last reel and thinking exactly the same thing.

As a concept, it's not even internally consistent, let alone the factual science. Electricity flows down a cable from live to earth no matter which side the terminal is on. If the planet is a mirror image of ours, why is it orbiting around the Sun in the same direction? There would be eclipses at different times depending on which planet you were on. Shouldn't there be two moons or one planet would lack tides and therefore a completely differently evolved wildlife. If there are tides, they would be different since the two moons would presumably be orbiting in the same direction too yet the planet would be turning on it's axis in a different direction which would bugger up which direction sunrise and sunset occur. It doesn't really get out of the starting blocks from a story point of view. It's all hokum smoothed over by great visuals.

It makes you wonder what a killer film they could've made if the story was a different solid science fiction story backed up by those glossy production values.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
TonyB
Forum Supporter

There is one thing with this new DVD release, it should stop this title going for really crazy money on Amazon, heh I have seen the DVDs range from 99 to 147
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

ITV once spent a week previewing this film by showing the rocket sled sequence - then cut that bit from the broadcast film! Doh

Old 25-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Of course, the film wasn't helped by Robert Parrish's involvement; dumping chunks of script can't have done any good at all. Then there was Ian Hendry's and Patrick Wymark's drink problems...

I'd love to know how it would have turned out if Century 21 had been allowed to do the whole thing in-house
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
eurosector
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
Ultimately, though, I can't explain in prosaic terms why I'm so taken by it.
Neither can I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
It makes you wonder what a killer film they could've made if the story was a different solid science fiction story backed up by those glossy production values.
Isn't this true of Space: 1999 as well?? After all, (at least for myself personally) I'm mostly interested in Space: 1999 (and UFO to a lesser extent) for its music, visual appeal and extrapolative designs. I can't say that the concept of blowing the moon out of earth orbit and encountering a new planet each week is anymore the basis of a "solid science fiction story" (to quote you) than an undiscovered mirror Earth! I think JTTFSOTS and Space: 1999 (and UFO) are all awesome productions! Any other negative criticisms and scientific nitpicking are simply a waste of breath in my opinion.

Last edited by eurosector; 26-03-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Space 1999 is at least internally consistent. It tells a huge lie in respect of the moon encountering a planet every week, I'll give you that, but that's just the plot device to give them an adventure each episode but none of the stories are actually focussed on that lie.

The extended novel of Breakaway (Earthfall) addresses some of the scientific points that Space 1999 raises. They aren't necessarily wholly answered but they are addressed. In the novel it's stated that the huge energies released during the explosion cause a momentary rift in real space and for a short period, the Moon occupies E Space where it has no mass and thus not a slave to gravitational forces, allowing those energies to move it without breaking it and sending it on it's journey. It's been a long time since I've read it but I think the notion of space warps are in there too so the Moon periodically jumps to new parts of space. OK none of that is in the series but it shows it is possible to create an explanation.

Doppelganger's central premise IS the story so they've a tough time selling it because it defies ANY rational explanation that doesn't throw up a whole new line of questions. However, like you, I agree that I respond to both mostly on the visual level.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
eurosector
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
.....but none of the stories are actually focussed on that lie.
The stories are not focused on a lie but rather based on a lie which in a way is worse. If the moon blew out of earth orbit it would actually tend to fall towards Earth and not away from it!
Old 26-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Ah, the 'planet of the week' syndrome. Critics of S99 love to tout that 'fact' all the time. For me, it's almost as annoying as The Window Thing, and you all know how I feel about that. (Let it go, Tony42, cricket, et al. Let it go! )
Anyway, I'm surpised to see fans* of the show repeating that 'planet of the week' thing. The runaway moon didn't encounter a new planet every week, and in some episodes, didn't encounter any planets at all.

*OK, maybe 'fans' isn't right, but you're not hardcore critics.

Hey, look! Is that CR? No, no... it's PEDANTIC MAN!!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
Dunc1
Geological Technician

Default Flawed Masterpiece

I am delighted Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun aka Doppelganger is to be released on DVD. It is flawed but brilliant. Having viewed it at a cinema presentation at the Barbican in London a few years ago, I never realised what a good film it really is. All the sad production history tends to make you think negatively about the film until you see it.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote