Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' website

As some of you will have inferred from my signature, I'm a fan of 'CE3K'. If I may, I'd like to 'plug' a very interesting CE3K website:

http://www.ce3k.me.uk/

AFAIK, there are few (if any) other sites devoted to CE3K. This one is run by a bloke called Phil Heeks, who is obviously a passionate and knowledgeable fan. I strongly recommend it if you enjoyed CE3K.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Funny you should mention that. Every time I go to make some diorama for a vehicle I end up with this funny looking mountain thing......
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Brilliant film and a very good site. Thanks for the link.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Love that film too! One of my top favorites! I got to see it as it was intended: on opening day when the plot was a closely guarded secret. All the wind was sucked right out of the theatre when the mothership was revealed. And, as an added bonus, a lot of it was filmed in my home state. The train station is now the chamber of commerce for Bay Minnette, right by the main highway to the beach.
Also, I did a film parody called Close Encounters of the Strange Kind. Gotta get that 8mm stuff transfered to a modern medium..too bad the plot is so dated. Our Roy sees something in the sky too....something a bit unusual. Another bigger parody is on youtube, the wonderfully silly Closet Encounters of the Nerd Kind. The mailbox scene is a riot! Have a look.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I was thinking of CE3K earlier!

Has anyone ever visited Devil's Tower? Must be quite a trip when you're a sci-fi fan.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

Sigh. I remember going on a school trip to Oxford to see Close Encounters at the cinema when it was released. I love it. I bought the 25th anniversary box set last month with all three versions of the film and lots of extra bits and pieces.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Eeeek there is a 25th anniversary set with all three versions, blimey I missed that fact, need to rectify that pretty damn quick.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Been to Devil's Tower back around 1990-91. Awe inspiriing slab of rock, and the scale is deceptive. The 'grooves' are columns of rock, some of which have broken off over the centuries. The broken fragments lying about are rather big; not house-sized, but still pretty huge. It's fun to imagine those fragments in place at the top of the tower, and lends a sense of just how big the thing is.
I have some lovely pics I took of it in the early evening... non-digital, but if I can dig up the prints, I'll see if I can post them.

Oh, just saw the 25th anniversary edition CE3K set today at the store, but gave it a pass. I have the Director's cut, which is actually pretty good on its own. Though I liked the theatrical version I saw as a kid, there were some bits in the 'Special' edition that were neat (at the expense of some theatrical cut scenes which got deleted), but some which sucked (like the whole ending inside the mothership). The Director's cut actually combined the theatrical version with the 'special ed' but left off the inside-the-mothership part. YEAH!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Eagle
Commander Ret.

There's a 30th Anniversary, 3 disc edition - released UK in Dec 2007...

Just snagged mine on the bay for 12.99!

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

One of the simplest and most startling openings without actually showing anything. I remember going up to Leicester Square in London to see the movie. This was a cutting edge cinema with the full audio experience. So we're sitting in the seats, the movie has just started and we're looking at this pitch black screen when those slowly rising opening chords start at the front quietly and slowly grow in volume while simultaneously moving backwards to fill the auditorium until almost at the point of painful maximum volume they crash and the pitch black cinema suddenly flashes into brilliance and three hundred packets of popcorn fly in the air as every member of the audience jumps up the back of their seat. I remember my friend and I looking at each other and laughing knowing this was going to be a good movie. This is a film you have to see at the cinema. It's just not the same on TV.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
There's a 30th Anniversary, 3 disc edition - released UK in Dec 2007...

Just snagged mine on the bay for 12.99!
Just been on eBay and got one myself too, 12.99 BiN and free P+P.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote