Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
alienation
Eagle Pilot

Default Dorzak the virus

In the episode Dorzak, the Psycons were referred to as a virus that had to be wiped out.
I've thought about that a lot. Based on Maya's description of Psycon, one race, one religion, one class, abundant resources, and we also know that Maya's brother and many Psycons fled the doomed planet to survive elsewhere, it is obvious that Dorzak's people had conflicts with some of the races they encountered.
I've often wondered about the nature of those conflicts. I mean, I'm sure the Psycons had a major culture shock when they enountered races that had class or religion problems, not having experienced these ever in their race's evolution.
I often wondered what were the 'dangerous ideas' that Dorzak was imposing to lead to his incarceration. My own thoughts think that he probably was working to make one political party or religous system the dominant one, and encountered resistance from the other sides.
alienation is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
JericoEagle1
Medical Technician

Perhaps he was preaching diversity, rather then the single state or religion. Opening up to new ideas or breaking old traditions can be very scary. One man's saint can be another man's demon, it makes you wonder why the Psychon's were wiped out. Maybe they were perceived by others to dangerous. People cringe today at the thought of a one world religion or government.
JericoEagle1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
alienation
Eagle Pilot

One religion can never happen. It's too different for too many of us.
Old 22-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

The Catacombs suggest 'Dorzak' was based on the story of Pythagoras, whose ideas dominated the city-state of Croton until 'regime change' forced him to flee.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
JericoEagle1
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienation View Post
One religion can never happen. It's too different for too many of us.

I'd like to believe that but it seems in time anything is possible, many people I know are of the opinion that one religion is just as good as another. Some just say they believe and that is good enough. I agree that it wouldn't happen now, but what about a few hundred years in the future?
JericoEagle1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
alienation
Eagle Pilot

too many religions contradict each other when it comes to who's a saint and who's a sinner. that's why they'll never be one.
I think that's a good thing.
Old 23-05-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienation View Post
too many religions contradict each other when it comes to who's a saint and who's a sinner. that's why they'll never be one.
I think that's a good thing.
Yes. The body count through history is certainly a good thing.
As to Dorzak and Psychons being a virus, my take was that Dorzak was a man who was filled with great personal ambition. While Psychon was habitable and populated, this ambition was stunted, certainly during the final crisis. But, once away and in the midst of another society, he may have felt that his own society/mores were superior, or merely that now he had the opportunity to seize power in an environment and level of technological development not unlike what they had once known. Perhaps the cultural differences led the Crotons to seeing Psychons as the "alien trash" of the galaxy, and unwilling to assimilate to their own culture. Whatever the case, Dorzak seems to have been a particular thorn. My guess is he tried to set sections of Croton society against each other, to further his own designs.
The fact that they would go to the expensive and time-consuming task of exiling him, rather than just executing him, says something profound and positive about Croton society.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

He ran around controlling people's minds to make them do what he wanted, he even ratted on Maya for goodness' sake. Simply he was a bastard Maya was really hurt to discover the truth, but there you are, and her dad wasn't much better either. They gave their planet a bad name.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
alienation
Eagle Pilot

Senmut's idea that Dorzak was stunted on Psycon is interesting....and then let loose on another culture, I do agree that he tried to take over and probably nearly succeeded (or he wouldn't be viewed as a threat)
Old 18-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Thank you. Great minds, and all that.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
tx4
Medical Technician

His mind reading and control capacities can certainly add to any of these possibilities. I noticed a long time ago that Maya was apparently unaware of this -- and she knew him to some degree (and Dorzak clearly recognized her too).

Though there is implied to be a sort of "metamorphic sense" that the Psychons have, outright mind reading or controlling is perhaps much more rare or maybe even nonexistent among them. Maya never showed such signs. I doubt Mentor had this capability either, or there would have been little need for the brinkmanship he was employing against Koenig regarding Alpha, or little reason he would have missed the true meaning of Koenig's Directive Four move.

I've tended to figure that maybe in the "same" strange depths of space to which the Alphans are exposed, he picked up a strong telepathic ability that he did not have before -- or that like with Carolyn Powell, he may have had some had some rare latent potential and it got triggered somehow in the years since he left Psychon. Sudden case of unexpected power -- a lot of it? A case of being corrupted by this power?

Regardless, to go from poet and philosopher to apparently inciting violence among aliens.... Something profoundly corrupting apparently happened -- or maybe it started earlier and Maya did not know Dorzak all that well (perhaps he and Mentor were friends and Maya just the youngster mostly off to the side at some get-togethers). The fight for survival can bring out the best, or the worst, in people, and unfortunately for many, it was the latter for Mentor and Dorzak.

Dorzak might have started subtly subverting some of his fellow Psychons even before they reached Croton space, working his way into a leading role. Leadership among Psychons may be structured differently, more fluidly and/or along different principles (e.g. the leaders being in science, art, etc., rather than among dedicated power brokers). Perhaps Psychons mostly lack cultural experience with outright political machinations, and may not have realized what he was doing among them.

Perhaps he was then able to use them some way once they reached Norvah. The Crotons were apparently long-removed from any more turbulent times they may have had, so they were probably caught unawares for awhile too, until they realized what was happening and then caught Dorzak.

As to the nature of this "insidious" power play once among the Crotons? Well, Sahala was not all that specific, with only slight hints, if that. So what wedge Dorzak was trying to use among Norvahns is certainly open to a lot of speculation. Senmut's and alienation's are very interesting possibilities, and seem plausible. Also, Sahala did state how the Norvahns saw the Psychons as technologically advanced. Maybe that factored in too. Perhaps the wedge was cultural or even technological more than pure political.

Even if Dorzak's machinations among his people or the Crotons were not the same sort of political machinations we might recognize (i.e. that Psychons did not have that cultural strife among themselves and the Norvahns apparently not for millennia at least), it is not like Psychons are unfamiliar with strife, however (read Dorcons). Maybe being a poet philosopher had him thinking deeply about this and other interplanetary strife, but that instead of reaching closer to some truths, that he instead slid down the wrong lines of thinking, misleading or even corrupting himself somewhere along the way. This could have been one way he reached the point Senmut suggested as a possibility, that perhaps he ended up thinking Psychon ways were superior.

Cultural, technological, political. Perhaps other reasons, or perhaps a mix of factors.

Just my 1.999 cents, anyway.

P.S. I recall at least one comparison between Dorzak and Dracula in some character aspects. The hypnotic effect. Dorzak also was coldly seductive towards Clea. Which brings that up as something he may have used on Norvah too.

P.P.S. ... Which just made me think of a comparison I don't recall seeing before. A more humorous one I guess.... That in the end, Dorzak may have learned how to also turn into a bat!

Last edited by tx4; 04-11-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: "Senmut and alienation" (missed mentioning the latter before; sorry!)
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote