Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Default My First book published- 100 Greatest Women in Aviation

Hi

Just to let everyone know I've had my first book published- as per title above. I co-authored it with Liz Moscrop my partner - we charted the stories of 100 female flyers over a century of flight. From canvas and wood contraptions, through the war years to jets and finally outer space, women have contributed much as unsung heroines within aviation.

The book was launched at the Farnborough airshow this year and we had a number of USAF female fighter pilots at the launch. Pity we couldn't get any RAF flyers, they didn't want to come despite our efforts...

http://www.aerocomm.aero/

Here's an independant review.

http://aerospaceplanes.suite101.com/...en_in_aviation

I'm hoping to have my first Sc-fi novel published next year...fingers crossed, we'll see..

Got another factual book in the works, this one has a sporting theme to it...

And then there's the Eagle to finish and a studio scale Sky Diver.... too little time...

Sanjay.
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Sounds very interesting Sanjay…and congratulations!

Aviation being my other passion I just couldn’t let pass the opportunity of owning this book. Hopefully it will arrive before my X-mas vacations.

Many thanks for the heads-up and my very best wishes for your current and future endeavours!

Jorge

Last edited by Eagletransporter; 13-11-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Thank you Jorge for your kind words and we really appreciate it that you ordered the book. I wasn't expecting anyone to order it from here, so your post was a pleasant surprise. Yes it will arrive before x-mas I'll make sure by telling the publisher.

Thanks again Jorge.

Sanjay.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thumbs up

Sanjay…the book was just delivered moments ago (impeccably!)…and what can I say except it totally surpassed my expectations!! Time-Life quality!

Congratulations again to you and to Liz Moscrop…a lot of work was put into this book, namely on what concerns research. The result is quite obvious: a fantastic tribute to the greatest women in aviation!

I was gladly surprised to find Thereza de Marzo from Brazil (well known in Portugal as well) included in the 100 list…it’s about time that someone recognizes how important she was!

If anyone here has an interest in the history of aviation, don’t miss this one!

Just a few quick shots showing some of the many gorgeous pictures that you’ll find next to the bios.

Many thanks Sanjay…looking forward to your next project!

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Guest01
Alphan

looks awesome
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-11-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

Congratulations, Lazy Eagle!

Eagletransporter, I wonder if our own Jean Batten made the list? In October 1936, she made the first direct flight from England to New Zealand.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Congratulations LazyEagle! Making a book myself (160 pages), I know, how much work needs to be done.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Looks fantastic Sanjay top marks and congratulations to you both.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Thanks kindly to all the compliments. Jorge- appreciate the time, effort and expense in posting the photos and praising the book, we are so glad you liked it. Liz will be immensely pleased. We have sold quite a few to Europe and America.

Yes Jean Batten is one of mine which I wrote - I enjoyed her story along with the barnstormer Panch Barnes. The Russian Fighter pilots of WW2 called the Night Witches were so feared by the Luftwaffe, they took out many a Me-109.

We wanted to represent many of the women who would never have been recognised, such as the ATA and WASP - pilots who ferried WW2 aircraft of all types to the front lines. From Spiftfires, P-51s to B-17's they had flown them all. More so our desire was to provide a quick and easy reference about women the world over. My interest was also to look into the existence of jet fighter pilots as my father was a former fighter pilot. I managed to get in touch with a few from the USAF and South East Asia- flying F-16's to Mig 29's.

There are heroic tales of women in battle and some denied the chance to prove their mettle in combat because they were women. Some fought prejudice to reach the cockpit and some died trying. All very inspiring, like I said in the intro of the book- their determination is hardcoded into their DNA to fly.

The research was exhausting, but enjoyable and all the pictures we had to pay for due to copyright- something we discovered during the compilation process, it was a learning curve. I'm glad, lucky and fortunate to have been involved in this project, if it makes more women (and men) enter the profession thn that's compensation enough-

Got a few more books in the pipeline - one's about sporting events, the other is my first Sci-fi novel - hence why I don't get much time to indulge my passion of model making.

Again Jorge thank you!.

Tony 42- thanks mate, Transporter - keep at it, when you see it bound and in your hands its worth it. Plus you can look forward to much female attention...depending on your title... :-)

Sanjay.