Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Default The Great Anderson Stuff We Never Had In The Uk Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin.....thought it would be cool to post some pics of non-Uk Anderson merchandising....enjoy

TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Great idea for a thread. Love these little vehicles. What they sometimes lack in authentic colour schemes they make up for with those little display boxes and all round coolness. The small pieces of art they use as a background are especially well done. Just like those kit boxes too. Lovely work. They Japanese really did go for the Anderson shows in a big way but always put their own spin on things with the merchandise but this just adds to the variety of stuff produced. I hope some of the others can pitch in and share some stuff. My own collection of international Anderson pieces is limited. Below are a few bits. First off a battered UFO lunch box. Always the chance to upgrade on these which I already have a couple of times but there are some big International collectors for lunch boxes so often the prices are high but I'm always looking and this one is OK for the moment.

The very nicely painted US SPACE:1999 jig-saw actually found very recently in a thrift store and given to me as a gift by some American pals which was lovely.

My last weird and whacky 'foreign' item. A Bandai THUNDERBIRDS beach ball. Mental but pretty cool with some nice artwork too.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 02-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Great idea Chris, some cool stuff out there love the toy's those rock. Lunch boxes they were alway's eye catching sweeeeet to see bring's back those memories.
This is not a toy or product you could buy, but is very rare and hard to get bus backlite advert. It was used to promote Thunderbirds on Y -( Young) T.V. a Canadian channel. Which inturn helped to promote and sell the release of the Matchbox toy sets.
Mike
[img][img]
Captainplaid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
Al-Phan
Weapons Technician

the UFO lunch-box brings back such memories! Great pictures, thanks.
Al-Phan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've seen a lot of those Japanese toys, and they say Dinky used wondrous colours. The SPV is noted because the door opens on the opposite side to the model in the show and all other such merchandise. The SPC isn't a bad model, and has opening doors unlike the Dinky, and only picked up again by Corgi.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Interesting to see how they promoted the show in other countries of course but I think Chris was intending for more toys and merchandise to be posted rather than promo stuff. Considering the variety of promo items put out by the various licence holders ITC, Polygram, Carlton, Granada, over the years as well as other outside companies who use the characters to promote their product I would have thought a seperate thread would be a good idea. How about it? I can put some stuff in for you guys to see. Captain Plaid's image is a prime example of the type of imagery to go in it. I'm sure you fellas must have tons of this sort of thing from magazines and newspapers over the years in your collections.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

A piece that was released twice in the USA and never in the UK. The top item is an original Thermos-King Seely lunchbox from the 60's, the lower is a repro issued by Gee Whiz about 2002. The Thermos flask is 60's original and was not reissued. If you look carefully you can see that the repro is not the same size as the original and the artwork is slightly manipulated to suit.

Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

These old lunch boxes are great. The FIREBALL one is stunning. The amount of work that went into the art for so many of them is almost ridiculous. Just made for kids to bash about and have some sandwiches thrown into by mum but the art is just breathtaking when it never really had to be. Miles better than a cheap old sticker plastered on the front like they are now with a bit of horrible photo-shop stuff done with a few promo photographs.Thanks for posting Steve.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

May we include books in this thread? If so, I could post photos of my Japanese Anderson books.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

US issue only

Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

That is some lovely artwork there Steve. They honestly don't seem to have a clue how to do stuff which comes anywhere near to comparing to this era merchandise nowadays. As I think has been noted before today it's all about corporate styling and uniformity but back in the 1960s and 1970s there was so much stuff which all had the proper logos and a decent peice of artwork on it but was still very different to what another company were doing. All the Carlton Anderson stuff looked almost indistinguishable from each other whether you were buying a book, DVD or toy. In answer to William's question this isn't my thread and no one here makes the rules but I think Chris was looking for vintage stuff as opposed to recent (IE the last twenty years) If you have some old Japanese stuff with that great Manga type art post away. I'd love to see it and I'm sure the rest will too. Anyhow here is another 'foreign' item from my own collection. (For a Brit anyway!) The very nice US Donruss cards, wrappers and box.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 03-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

US issue.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Blimey mate! That's nice too. Love the mix of actual photographs and cartoon style art. Very nice. They did some great US stuff for those early shows didn't they. Thanks for posting Steve.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks, Jim. Well, the books I have are rare, but were produced within the last 25 years. Still, I look forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with. So far, it's been really fantastic.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

William like I said it's not my site or thread. Why not start a thread of your own of your rare books from the last 25 years. It's just that this thread as with others about TV21 or whatever are clearly based around vintage items. I would love to see what you have mate so start a thread. I can't wait to see it.

Old 16-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Thought I`d give the thread a bump. Here`s another favourite.... Imai 1969 figure kit set

Old 16-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Were these figures better than the TB ones? Did you ever build any Chris?
Old 16-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
TVC21
Life Support Officer

I did build some of the reissues, I`ll take a photo if I can find them....they have charm and character, like the Tbirds ones...!
Old 16-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes please, I've seen some of the reissue kits but I've not seen any decently built.
Old 16-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Box artwork is stunning on these and the fact that you see these in the set so rarely makes it a real treat. I have a few of the single Captains and recall being very disappointed opening the box and seeing the kit inside when the artwork promised a truly amazing representation of the puppet. The presentation pack and the display diorama set you show here are ones I have never seen before mate. Thanks for posting. Bloody lovely.