Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Default Space:1999 year two CD on Ebay

Has anyone seen the 2CD set of year two music on Ebay? I thought, at first, that it was the "Fanderson" version, but it is not. I was going to bid on it, but it looks like a bootleg! Anybody help me out?

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Link, please?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Sorry!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=tab%3DSelling

Some forums don't allow people to put up actual links to Ebay, didn't know if it was proper here!

Thanks, William
Old 23-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Huh. The image does not appear to be that used by Fanderson for their 2 CD release. The seller clearly says it is 'original' but not the Fanderson release, so I wonder what it is an 'original' of. I'd stay clear.

Here is an image of the original Fanderson CD from The Catacombs:

Last edited by cricket; 24-09-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling typo
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Well, he does say that it is a legit copy:

>>Original 2 disc set! This is a very rare and hard to find item. Please note, this is NOT the "Fanderson" release.
A "Limited Archival" Release, copyright 1998 Polygram television international<<

I think that I will go for it, sure looks good, and I already have the Fanderson from year one and year two! Hey, couldn't hurt, huh?

Thanks, William

Old 24-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
gwent
Computer Technician

My personal feeling on this is that it doesn't smell right to me. That is most definitely not the correct artwork, and notice he doesn't have any prior history on Ebay. I'd put money on that being a fake! Be careful!

Also, keep in mind that the year 2 score is being released in October by Silva Screen.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

A "Limited Archival" Release, copyright 1998 Polygram television international - that no-ones ever heard of in the last 11 years!

Strangely it has the almost same purple, 'soundtrack & Year 2', bits on the front cover as the Fanderson release. Got to be a rip-off.

Why buy it if you have the Fanderson CDs? If you're a completist then the first single cd Derek Wadsworth 'promotional release' is the one to buy.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor1969 View Post
Well, he does say that it is a legit copy:

>>Original 2 disc set! This is a very rare and hard to find item. Please note, this is NOT the "Fanderson" release.
A "Limited Archival" Release, copyright 1998 Polygram television international<<

I think that I will go for it, sure looks good, and I already have the Fanderson from year one and year two! Hey, couldn't hurt, huh?

Thanks, William
If the track listing for the ebay cd set is exactly the same as your Fanderson year 2 set - then I see no point in buying the ebay cd set.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
If you're a completist then the first single cd Derek Wadsworth 'promotional release' is the one to buy.
But I believe there aren't any tracks on that promotional release that aren't on the Fanderson double Year 2 cd - so no point really - except for different cover ?
Old 24-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Some of the music does sound slightly different, I prefer some tracks on this to the Fanderson one and so I do still listen to it occasionally - but as you say if you have the proper 2 cd set why bother.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Some of the music does sound slightly different, I prefer some tracks on this to the Fanderson one and so I do still listen to it occasionally - but as you say if you have the proper 2 cd set why bother.
Agreed. In a similar vein - if you have all the Space 1999 novels with the UK cover pictures, what's the point in buying the US versions, as the only difference is the covers (or vice versa). For completists only, at the end of the day.
Old 24-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Wow! I've never been called a completist before! hehehehehe. Thanks for all the input, and the zero feedback on the guy is kinda strange, but I spoke with Paypal and they said that I would be totally covered on this purchase. Also, the track listings are totally different than the Fanderson 2 CD set, and the new release coming out is only one disc, but I may not be getting it, someone keeps outbidding me! We will see in one day!
William
Old 25-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

OMG!!!! In case you weren't following the auction, it sold for 83.29!!!! It was sold to the guy who kept outbidding me! I didn't want to go over 50.00 really, since I had seen a couple of the Fanderson ones on Ebay starting at 55.00, but 83.00???? I really hope this disc set is worth it!
Oh, well, live and learn.
William
Old 25-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
gwent
Computer Technician

Ouch!! Good luck to him. Probably a bootleg made from mp3s or something.
Old 26-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #15
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

If that were so, how does this guy make bootleg CDs (two) with full color silkscreened CDs?? He sent me a photo of the discs with the jewelcase, and they look as good as the Fanderson CDs, but with different pictures, of course. Best that I can do on my music CDs is a crappy paper label, and it has a BIG hole in the middle, his go right up to the little middle hole on the CD. Is that what a "lightscribe" system does? I heard of that, but didn't know that they could make full color, professional looking CDs like this!
Oh, and by the way, did you notice that one bidder on the auction had a ZERO feedback! Really strange on that one, wonder why the winner doesn't try and have the bids reduced by claiming a shill bidder! It would take it from 82.00 down to 53.00 or something like that! very curious!

William

Last edited by williamtaylor1969; 26-09-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Old 26-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #16
gwent
Computer Technician

Hmm, that is interesting about the zero feedback bidder. As far as the disc printing, I've never printed on disc, other than trying out lightscribe (yuck!). I can say that I got burned once when I bought Disney's pinocchio on DVD from Ebay. This was for a gift for my girlfriend, and it was before the film was re-released by Disney on DVD, so I wanted to find an authentic Disney DVD on Ebay, and I was trying to be very careful about copies. I made my bid, won the disc, and when it arrived, it looked beautiful, right down to the incredible full-color cover which even had the Disney logo and HOLOGRAPHIC etching! The disc itself even had the usual Disney copyright stuff printed encircling the disc. However, I soon discovered that the disc printing, while beautiful, did not match up to Disney's actual artwork on their disc, and as I found out, what I received was an Asian bootleg. It was even shrink-wrapped for crying-out-loud! I ended up trying again, and when I finally found the real thing, it was obvious that the other was a fake, as good as it looked.

I'm not sure how well a home-made print job can look nowadays, but I wouldn't be surprised if people can pull off pro-quality printing with a good printer. It seems awful suspicious that there is no documented release for this 2-disc set he sold. My guess is he either got the music off the Fanderson discs, or from some internet source, and then just made his own custom discs. Easy enough to do.

Last edited by gwent; 26-09-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 26-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The season one music was bootlegged very proferssionally even to the point of the disks being 'pressed' by a professional disk manufacturers rather than burned. It even included a duplicate of the Fanderson booklet.

If this is a bootleg disk and the seller is going to such lengths to hide his obvious dishonesty by inventing some cock and bull story, you need to ask yourself if this same seller is someone you want to trade with or send your hard earned money too. You know nothing about him other than he's a liar.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post

If this is a bootleg disk and the seller is going to such lengths to hide his obvious dishonesty by inventing some cock and bull story, you need to ask yourself if this same seller is someone you want to trade with or send your hard earned money too. You know nothing about him other than he's a liar.
Actually, I have no basis to think him to be dishonest, or to be a liar. He's been VERY upfront with me, sending me photos, and a whole backstory on the purchase of the disc and from whom. He said that the CD set came from a Los Angeles seller, at a Scifi Convention by the name of "Paul Magwood", who does sell alot of CD and record soundtracks, and has a VERY good rep (I checked him out) Upon contacting Mr. Magwood, he did state that the CD was sold by him to the Ebay seller, and stated that he has both year one and year two, and gets them from a L.A. based "distributor", whom he gets all of his CD soundtracks from. I did not press him more than that, because he seemed irritated by the questions I sent him via email, so I thanked him for his reply and went over to bid on the item.
Since I got outbid on this item, which I guess was just fate, I just have to move on, and wonder what the CD was all about. Such is life!

William
Old 26-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The season one soundtrack was bootlegged in the US. It could mean something or it could mean nothing.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

There's a guy in the US listing a Space 1999 Year 1 CD at the mo, and in the title he's put "Fanderson". But its only a single CD, and has the silva screen artwork & track listing. Bit misleading i think to put Fanderson ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACE-1999-YEA...d=p3286.c0.m14
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote