Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Default "V" the remake

some info.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/tv-news...ien-adventure/
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
ironman1188
Weapons Technician

Soooo, did anyone watch its premiere?
What did you think?
ironman1188 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
stingray48442
Exile

i like the ships special effects are a lot better than the original
stingray48442 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Yes, I thought it was a good update for 2009 of the 1983-1985 original.

However, I definitely prefer the 1983-1985 V design of all of their Spaceships including the Motherships(flying saucer) great interior sets of the Bridge and of course the Landing Bays filled with full-scale Transports & full-scale Skyfighters too. The Transports & Skyfighters, back in the 1983-1985, were actually built full-scale and placed on-location when filming...thank God no C.G.I. back then.

The 2009 V is interesting story wise, I will watch.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

The pilot has kept my interest to watch the next episode, it will be show for show for now.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Rather scathing review even says Battlefield Earth was more compelling than this show

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...r_shinier.html

At least it's got the girl from Serenity in it. She is nice eye candy
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

I was not impressed. I decided to watch the original on Sci-Fi channel instead. I hope that Kenneth Johnson turns it around rather quickly before the network cans it.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 04-11-2009 at 11:26 PM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

HoHum... watched it last night as well and I don't expect it to last as long as the first run, did it even make it past one year? I didn't make it much past the mini-series with that one either and this new one seems to all be rushing it plot-wise... a two hour intro would have at least been better here.

This is ABC after all... they screwed up the marketing on Defying Gravity where they've left us hanging (don't even know if that's coming back). Pushing Daisies was an absolutely brilliant series that died way too young... again a marketing mess. I don't expect much better from them here.

The whole time I watched last night it made me think of the Space 1999 remake facing us. Yes, eventually someone will do it... no original ideals left in the industry. I certainly hope whoever does it updates it correctly, sticking to the original concept with better writing i.e.: better science behind the moon's exit from orbit; stick with MUF (Mysterious Unknown Force) in some spectacular conclusion; Alphans unprepared for their journey; aliens are all not humanoid; huge, magnificent sets... basically everything Friedberger took away from it.

Oh, if only I were the producer on that new one...

Last edited by Eagle12; 05-11-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
morrris99
Hydroponics Technician

As a DEVOTED fan of the original series, I can say that I actually enjoyed it enough to tune in next week. I am as much a V fan as most people here are Space 1999 fans...I watched the series growing up, I watched the few taped episodes we owned until the tape series came out from Columbia House, I watched them all again when the DVD's came out, I built V guns and spacecraft out of Lego's, I drooled over the technology, I learned everything about it when I could, I followed the V fan sites and started paying close attention when a few years ago word of a remake started to surface. Heck, I was even at the V convention in 2000 in Los Angeles with a seller's table selling my little V creations. What I can say is this: None of us in the V community dreamed that a V remake/reboot would happen. But, last night we were all proved wrong. If there is enough interest, letter writing campaigns, conventions, fan websites, chatter, etc..., ANYTHING can happen (except seeing the original actors in their roles). Sure, the motherships are different, the transport ships are different, the uniforms are different, and the faces, but so what. It's V again, and until they screw it up I'll be watching.
morrris99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
HoHum... watched it last night as well and I don't expect it to last as long as the first run, did it even make it past one year? I didn't make it much past the mini-series with that one either and this new one seems to all be rushing it plot-wise... a two hour intro would have at least been better here.

This is ABC after all... they screwed up the marketing on Defying Gravity where they've left us hanging (don't even know if that's coming back). Pushing Daisies was an absolutely brilliant series that died way too young... again a marketing mess. I don't expect much better from them here.

The whole time I watched last night it made me think of the Space 1999 remake facing us. Yes, eventually someone will do it... no original ideals left in the industry. I certainly hope whoever does it updates it correctly, sticking to the original concept with better writing i.e.: better science behind the moon's exit from orbit; stick with MUF (Mysterious Unknown Force) in some spectacular conclusion; Alphans unprepared for their journey; aliens are all not humanoid; huge, magnificent sets... basically everything Friedberger took away from it.

Oh, if only I were the producer on that new one...
I agree. The producer control all aspects of production, ranging from show idea development and cast hiring to shoot supervision . It is often the producer who is responsible for the show's overall quality and survivability.I think the producers did a poor job in this case.But the writers need to step up to the plate and come up with better ideas. They are they originators of the product .

Last edited by eaglewingone; 05-11-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

1983-1985 V spaceships versus 2009 V spaceships?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

I haven't seen it yet, but I would say it's only fair to give a show a few episodes to find its feet before it gets properly analysed.

One complaint I've heard from people though is that the pilot was only an hour long. If you think in the original miniseries, how long was the pilot episode. It gives a longer time to 'hook' you.

I'm a pretty devoted V fan, and even enjoy some episodes of the weekly series, to me Lydia was an interesting character, who was more often than not just used to have some Dynasty style bitchiness into it unfortunately. However, no matter how much of a fan you are, lets be honest, V original did have some faults and its plot holes. I think its only fair to see how this goes. After all, its not as if we have a hell of a lot to choose from. For all we know there could be a turn around.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
This is ABC after all... they screwed up the marketing on Defying Gravity where they've left us hanging (don't even know if that's coming back).
Defying Gravity has been cancelled and the sets have been struck, it's dead
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
Defying Gravity has been cancelled and the sets have been struck, it's dead
Well, I figured as much. Hopefully they will play out the rest of the episodes and the producers were prepared and came up with some final conclusion. ABC certainly didn't do that with the cancellation of Pushing Daisies although there has been talk of a movie. Kristin Chenoweth rocks and her Emmy award for the show proves that... but I'm leery of any shows sucking me in like that again.

Luckily, I've been downloading the final episodes of Defying Gravity shown in Canada and I might get my answers, unlike the rest of the USA. But please, don't think I was a huge fan... it certainly had its problems as well but did keep me coming back.

We'll have to see on V... I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm afraid that's all it may have after seeing the pilot.

Steven
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I'm afraid I'm already fed up with Defying Gravity. Not content with ripping off the BBC Space Odyssey (even the ship is virtually the same design), it is so slow and more of a soap in space that science fiction. The only thing which might have held my attention for 13 episodes is Beta, but if it has been cancelled we may never know.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
I'm afraid I'm already fed up with Defying Gravity. Not content with ripping off the BBC Space Odyssey (even the ship is virtually the same design), it is so slow and more of a soap in space that science fiction. The only thing which might have held my attention for 13 episodes is Beta, but if it has been cancelled we may never know.

Keith
It's from the producers of Grey's Anatomy... enough said. Beta is the only thing that kept me involved as well... stopping at the discovery of it without completing the series is something ABC would certainly do.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
wayout10131
Travel Tube Technician

Saw the premiere the other night - moved too fast and didn't grab me.

I don't think it will survive for long.
wayout10131 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Will V go beyond the four episodes produced next year with a series?
www.epguides.com/V_2009/

1983-1985 V spaceships versus 2009 V spaceships?
www.epguides.com/V/
Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
ironman1188
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I was not impressed. I decided to watch the original on Sci-Fi channel instead. I hope that Kenneth Johnson turns it around rather quickly before the network cans it.
Kenneth Johnson is not affiliated with this show other than being credited for having created the original concept.
He, Johnson, is trying to get a big screen revival of his own going.
ironman1188 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1188 View Post
Kenneth Johnson is not affiliated with this show other than being credited for having created the original concept.
He, Johnson, is trying to get a big screen revival of his own going.
Time to bring him back, at least in a consulting mode?