Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Guest01
Alphan

Default SKY 1

Hi guys,is there anyone currently doing Sky 1? Ive just started off to do the large sky 1 in a very light fibreglass,which i think the origional was also done.It was made in two halves and ive had fun getting the two together.Ive had to fill a few pinholes and areas where the resin must have bubbled at one stage in the molding,no fault of the molds as they where faultless and excelent.I will try and get some pics up now for you all to look at to see what you think
regs
Rob

Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

debating weather to post this or not, dont wanna hijack thread..

was very lucky to have a hold of phil rae's original, it is light and it is fibreglass.
I basically said how much does it weigh Phil, and he said here ya go so you can see why Ive got a cheesy grin thanks to Bernie for taking the shot too

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

if you want something to scale it too, Im 5'11 with a fat face and fat waist
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

aint mine, Phil Raes, they had to prize it out of my hands
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Guest01
Alphan

hi JD, yeah it will be studio scale.The molds where done by our own Dx and he has made a fantastic job (as usual) in making them,so again Chris thank you.Im pleased the canopy is the right shape lol as they are direct copies taken of the origional as is the rear engines and the front rockets bit(is it the mantra pod they call it?) again from another good friend,who is also building another sky 1 also.Here is some pics of the shells ,showing how thin they are.Thanks to Paul for taking the pics for me

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Guest01
Alphan

does anyone know how or what the wings where made from?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Matra rocket pods
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
paul gray
Forum Supporter

thought i recognised those thumbs. you have done a lovely job putting the halves together Rob, looks very smooth, the pressures on for me to do the same with mine. great start to the project
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Guest01
Alphan

yeah had a few probs with getting them together ,but its taking shape and looking the part.I spot tacked the sides with zapagap and an activator to speed it up a little and gently twisted and pulled them to get them even.The front nose section im not sure what happened when it was being molded but i couldnt get right so i had to resort to filler.Half of that section is recessed anyway (i think) so that will be easy enough to do.Still trying to id bits and pieces and ive come to the conclusion that the two gun nozzles either side at the front are the same bits from the little nellie kit that are embedded in the other little nell part on the side of the fin/rudder if you know which bits im on about ? the drop tank on the side of the fuselage is from one of the ww2 mustangs i think but what scale ?????????
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Guest01
Alphan

Thanks Jd ,so i could be right with the mustang drop tank then?The front fluted section im thinking of doing is by cutting the entire nose off,partly fill with gloop (resin and carfiller mixed,lovely stuff) then cut the slats out and file out to req depth,so i get nice edges or use a router bit on my dremel.i will try post to post pics as i go along .I wonder who the other lad got his sky 1 from on that site JD ?wonder if he got it finished

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i was thinking of going the way JD has suggested and use half tubes stuck into the cut slats. the way you mentioned Rob sounds like a lot of work
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
Guest01
Alphan

i see on Martins site he has chopped the nose off too to do that area.Does anyone one have a guestimate how deep the recesses are ? i quess at about 6 to 8mm but no more than 10mm
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul gray View Post
i was thinking of going the way JD has suggested and use half tubes stuck into the cut slats. the way you mentioned Rob sounds like a lot of work
cheers Paul
tell me about it i always do things the awkward way lol.Yeah square tube could be the way to go here ,but its gonna be awkward to get them in too.Another prob too with cutting the nose off would be aligning it again once finished.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Guest01
Alphan

must admit now they look round at the bottom of them,it certainly pays to look at at much info as poss eh lol
Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Tony's Sky1 is my mouldings I took from my own rigid glassfibre moulds (not from the original model but patterned using measurements taken from it, for obvious reasons). In fact, until areteecee borrowed the moulds, they were the only mouldings that had come from them (IIRC). I did make a wing mould too, the two wings of Tony's being the result, but that's been lost in amongst the big pile of other lost items somewhere in Castle DX. It was going to be my own model but I foolishly started collecting reference for a 5ft Skydiver so sold off the large Sky1 half built. Incidentally, the grooves on the nose of the original large Sky1 are made by letting in half round aluminium tube.

Rob, you're making a nice job of that and the addition of some castings from the original adds a lot to it as a display model.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Guest01
Alphan

some more piccs for you

And some more of the moldings:

Last edited by JD; 19-07-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

In the case of Tony's model, I cut a number of slots ready to take the ali tubes but never got around to adding them. I don't think there's any benefit to cutting the nose off. In fact it will probably make things a lot harder. From memory (and it was a few years ago) I think I used a Dremel motor tool with a cutting disk and then cleaned up the edges with a file.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Guest01
Alphan

Chris did you ever get round to doing the 5ft skydiver then?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I have to say I LOVE the weathering on that original Sky 1 model. Simple but so effective.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by areteecee View Post
Chris did you ever get round to doing the 5ft skydiver then?
Drawings and bits of yes. At my current rate, I can see it turning into a retirement project!